1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Hydrostatic equilibrium and Navier-Stokes equations

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Is it possible to derive the condition for hydrostatic equilibrium or the Navier-Stokes equation for a self-gravitating fluid - e.g. for water on a planet with non-homogeneous density - based on a variational principle?

(the planet itself is assumed to be a fixed hard core not subject to the variation)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2
    My answer is I don't know. But I do know there is work on the Hamiltonian structure of fluids (see link). I also imagine relativists have work on fluids coupled to gravity in a Lagrangian formulation. However, since you want to produce Navier-Stokes which includes viscosity I worry that might prevent the use of a variational principle.

4. Jun 18, 2017 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

Hm, are there other replies than just that?

Thanks a lot. I'll check that as soon as possible.

Not necessarily including viscosity. I would be glad to see any variational principle. So let's discuss with the Euler equations instead.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted