Hydrostatic equilibrium and Navier-Stokes equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving the condition for hydrostatic equilibrium or the Navier-Stokes equation for a self-gravitating fluid using a variational principle. The speaker is unsure if this is possible, but suggests looking into work on the Hamiltonian structure of fluids and the Lagrangian formulation of fluids coupled to gravity. However, the inclusion of viscosity may prevent the use of a variational principle. The other speaker is open to discussing the topic using the Euler equations instead.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
Is it possible to derive the condition for hydrostatic equilibrium or the Navier-Stokes equation for a self-gravitating fluid - e.g. for water on a planet with non-homogeneous density - based on a variational principle?

(the planet itself is assumed to be a fixed hard core not subject to the variation)

Physics news on Phys.org
My answer is I don't know. But I do know there is work on the Hamiltonian structure of fluids (see link). I also imagine relativists have work on fluids coupled to gravity in a Lagrangian formulation. However, since you want to produce Navier-Stokes which includes viscosity I worry that might prevent the use of a variational principle.

Haborix said:
My answer is I don't know.
Hm, are there other replies than just that?

Haborix said:
But I know there is work on the Hamiltonian structure of fluids (see link).
Thanks a lot. I'll check that as soon as possible.

Haborix said:
However, since you want to produce Navier-Stokes which includes viscosity I worry that might prevent the use of a variational principle.
Not necessarily including viscosity. I would be glad to see any variational principle. So let's discuss with the Euler equations instead.

1. What is hydrostatic equilibrium?

Hydrostatic equilibrium is a state in which the forces of gravity and pressure are balanced in a fluid. This means that the fluid is not moving or accelerating and is in a state of rest.

2. What are the Navier-Stokes equations?

The Navier-Stokes equations are a set of partial differential equations that describe the motion of a fluid. They take into account the effects of viscosity, pressure, and external forces on the fluid.

3. How are the Navier-Stokes equations used in hydrostatic equilibrium?

The Navier-Stokes equations are used to solve for the pressure and velocity fields in a fluid in hydrostatic equilibrium. They are essential in understanding the balance of forces in the fluid and predicting its behavior.

4. What factors affect hydrostatic equilibrium?

The primary factors that affect hydrostatic equilibrium are the density, pressure, and temperature of the fluid. Changes in these properties can cause imbalances in the forces, leading to fluid motion.

5. What are some real-world applications of hydrostatic equilibrium and the Navier-Stokes equations?

Hydrostatic equilibrium and the Navier-Stokes equations have many practical applications, including predicting weather patterns, designing aircraft and ships, and understanding ocean currents. They are also used in the study of fluid dynamics and the development of new technologies such as wind turbines and fuel-efficient engines.