Hydrostatic force on submerged curved surface

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving calculating the weight of a fluid. One person is confused about the volume formula being used in the solution and is wondering if it is correct and applicable to all problems. The other person is trying to clarify by asking for more details and pointing out errors in the given formula.
febbie22

Homework Statement

Hi i know how to do these problems but its calculating the weight of the fluid, which you have to do to minus it from the vertical force.

But in the solutions to the problem is say that the volume is R^2 - Pie *(R^2)/4 *1

The only thing i want to know is why is that the volume because I've never seen anything like it and if it is correct is it in all the problems so i can just remeber it.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi febbie22! :smile:

(have a pi: π and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Can you give us more detail about this problem?

(and there's no way that R2 - πR2/4 can be a volume … it's obviously an area :confused:)

Hi its question 11-19, i triedto put it on word but it didnt let me upload. And I've got the solutions to the problem. and so when it says to calculate the weight it says

rowg * (R^2 - Pie * (R^2)/4 * 1

Attachments

• Chapter 11.pdf
    860.4 KB · Views: 15,450
febbie22 said:
Hi its question 11-19, i triedto put it on word but it didnt let me upload. And I've got the solutions to the problem. and so when it says to calculate the weight it says

rowg * (R^2 - Pie * (R^2)/4 * 1

(please use the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

I can't find that formula … which page is it on? :confused:

(and it's spelt rho, and you must have missed out an h … that's still an area!)

oh sorry it example 11-2 on page 494

and its the weight of fluid block per m length

that i don't get

febbie22 said:
oh sorry it example 11-2 on page 494

and its the weight of fluid block per m length

that i don't get

I can't see a page 494 …

have you posted the correct document? :confused:

1. What is hydrostatic force on a submerged curved surface?

Hydrostatic force on a submerged curved surface is the force exerted by a fluid on a curved surface that is completely or partially submerged in the fluid. It is caused by the weight of the fluid above the surface and is dependent on the depth of immersion, the density of the fluid, and the shape of the submerged surface.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated on a submerged curved surface?

The hydrostatic force on a submerged curved surface can be calculated using the formula F = γhA, where F is the force, γ is the weight density of the fluid, h is the depth of immersion, and A is the projected area of the curved surface in the direction of the force.

3. What are some real-life applications of hydrostatic force on submerged curved surfaces?

Hydrostatic force on submerged curved surfaces is used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as naval architecture, hydraulics, and oceanography. It is essential in designing ships, submarines, and pipelines, as well as in understanding the behavior of ocean currents and waves.

4. How does the shape of the submerged curved surface affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of the submerged curved surface plays a crucial role in determining the magnitude and direction of the hydrostatic force. The force increases with the depth of immersion and the projected area of the curved surface, but it also depends on the curvature and orientation of the surface.

5. What is the difference between hydrostatic force and hydrodynamic force on a submerged curved surface?

Hydrostatic force is caused by the weight of the fluid above the submerged curved surface, while hydrodynamic force is caused by the pressure and friction of the fluid in motion. Hydrostatic force is mainly dependent on the depth of immersion and the shape of the surface, while hydrodynamic force also depends on the velocity of the fluid and the surface's orientation relative to the flow.