Hyperbola's asymptote, where's my mistake?

In summary: Also: in the future do not post images of your work, as most people on this Forum will not read them and will not be willing to help you. Just type out your work.
Poznerrr
Member warned to not delete the homework template in future posts
I have tried like 5 times to do this problem ans still don't get the answer I'm supposed to (A). Anybody finds mistake in my work below?
upload_2016-7-6_13-30-13.png

upload_2016-7-6_13-31-53.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, it should be ##a/b## and not ##b/a##. so the factor appearing will be ##2/3## and not ##3/2##.

Fightfish said:
If I'm not mistaken, it should be ##a/b## and not ##b/a##. so the factor appearing will be ##2/3## and not ##3/2##.
Yeah, I thought about it, and it works out with a/b being the slope of the asymptote. But different sources stick to either a/b and b/a, so it's really confusing which slope is actually correct.

Poznerrr said:
Yeah, I thought about it, and it works out with a/b being the slope of the asymptote. But different sources stick to either a/b and b/a, so it's really confusing which slope is actually correct.
The way to remember it is well, to derive it yourself, which isn't very hard. The general equation for a hyperbola is in the form
[tex]\frac{y^2}{a^2} - \frac{x^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]
In the asymptotic limit, the term ##1## becomes insignificant and so we drop it, leaving
[tex]\frac{y^2}{a^2} = \frac{x^2}{b^2}[/tex]
and so
[tex]y = \pm \frac{a}{b} x[/tex]

Given a conic section
[tex]Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0[/tex]
the asymptotes can be calculated by a little trick. Basically, the slope of the asymptote is ##s##, where ##s## is the solution to ##A + Bs + Cs^2=0##.

In your case, this corresponds to the solution of ##4-9s^2=0##. So we get ##s = 2/3## or ##s= -2/3##. The slope of (A) is ##-2/3##.

Likes member 587159
micromass said:
Given a conic section
the asymptotes can be calculated by a little trick. Basically, the slope of the asymptote is ##s##, where ##s## is the solution to ##A + Bs + Cs^2=0##.

In your case, this corresponds to the solution of ##4-9s^2=0##. So we get ##s = 2/3## or ##s= -2/3##. The slope of (A) is ##-2/3##.

Ah, the trick with the homogeneous coordinates and equations ;)

Likes micromass
micromass said:
Given a conic section

Thanks! I'll use this trick in future.

Poznerrr said:

You shouldn't unless you can prove the trick actually works.

Likes member 587159
Poznerrr,
For the proof, divide the initial conic section by x2. And find the limit if x->infinity. Thus, your get the equation from post #5, where s = y/x, that is the slope.

Poznerrr said:

Also: in the future do not post images of your work, as most people on this Forum will not read them and will not be willing to help you. Just type out your work.

1. What is a hyperbola's asymptote?

A hyperbola's asymptote is a straight line that the hyperbola approaches but never touches. It is used to describe the shape of the hyperbola and its behavior as its distance from the center increases.

2. How do I find the asymptotes of a hyperbola?

To find the asymptotes of a hyperbola, you can use the equation y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the asymptote and b is the y-intercept. The slope of the asymptotes can be found by dividing the coefficient of x by the coefficient of y in the hyperbola's equation.

3. What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a line that is parallel to the y-axis and approaches the hyperbola as x approaches a certain value. A horizontal asymptote is a line that is parallel to the x-axis and approaches the hyperbola as y approaches a certain value. The difference lies in the direction in which the asymptote approaches the hyperbola.

4. Can a hyperbola have more than two asymptotes?

No, a hyperbola can only have two asymptotes. This is because a hyperbola is defined as a curve with two distinct branches, and each branch can have at most one vertical and one horizontal asymptote.

5. Where do people commonly make mistakes when working with hyperbola's asymptotes?

People commonly make mistakes when finding the slope of the asymptotes or determining the direction of the asymptotes. It is important to remember that the slope of a vertical asymptote is undefined, and the direction of the asymptotes can be determined by looking at the signs of the coefficients in the hyperbola's equation.