1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbola's asymptote, where's my mistake?

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    • Member warned to not delete the homework template in future posts
    I have tried like 5 times to do this problem ans still don't get the answer I'm supposed to (A). Anybody finds mistake in my work below?
    upload_2016-7-6_13-30-13.png
    upload_2016-7-6_13-31-53.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2
    If I'm not mistaken, it should be ##a/b## and not ##b/a##. so the factor appearing will be ##2/3## and not ##3/2##.

4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    Yeah, I thought about it, and it works out with a/b being the slope of the asymptote. But different sources stick to either a/b and b/a, so it's really confusing which slope is actually correct.

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4
    The way to remember it is well, to derive it yourself, which isn't very hard. The general equation for a hyperbola is in the form
    [tex]\frac{y^2}{a^2} - \frac{x^2}{b^2} = 1[/tex]
    In the asymptotic limit, the term ##1## becomes insignificant and so we drop it, leaving
    [tex]\frac{y^2}{a^2} = \frac{x^2}{b^2}[/tex]
    and so
    [tex]y = \pm \frac{a}{b} x[/tex]

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Given a conic section
    [tex]Ax^2 + Bxy + Cy^2 + Dx + Ey + F = 0[/tex]
    the asymptotes can be calculated by a little trick. Basically, the slope of the asymptote is ##s##, where ##s## is the solution to ##A + Bs + Cs^2=0##.

In your case, this corresponds to the solution of ##4-9s^2=0##. So we get ##s = 2/3## or ##s= -2/3##. The slope of (A) is ##-2/3##.

7. Jul 6, 2016 #6

Math_QED

Homework Helper

Ah, the trick with the homogeneous coordinates and equations ;)

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7
    Thanks! I'll use this trick in future.

9. Jul 7, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You shouldn't unless you can prove the trick actually works.

10. Jul 7, 2016 #9
    Poznerrr,
    For the proof, divide the initial conic section by x2. And find the limit if x->infinity. Thus, your get the equation from post #5, where s = y/x, that is the slope.

11. Jul 7, 2016 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Also: in the future do not post images of your work, as most people on this Forum will not read them and will not be willing to help you. Just type out your work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted