About critical damping resistance of a ballistic galvanometer

phymath7
Homework Statement
In my physics lab experiment,I need to find out the critical damping resistance of a ballistic galvanometer (The associated circuit is given in the attempt section) by drawing ##\lambda## vs. ##R_2## graph where ##\lambda## is the logarithmic decrement of deflection of galvanometer .
Relevant Equations
$$\omega=\sqrt{\omega_0{}^2 -\frac{\gamma^2}{4}}$$
where ##\omega## is the damped angular frequency and ##\omega_0## is the undamped angular frequency
The differential equation of the motion of the galvanometer(wrt time):
$$\ddot \theta+\gamma\dot \theta +k^2\theta=0$$
Relation between ##\lambda## and ##\gamma ## is:
$$\lambda=\frac{\gamma T}{4}$$
Where
$$\gamma =\frac{\beta +\frac {a} {R_2 +G}}{I}$$
##\beta## and 'a' are constant,G is the galvanometer resistance and T is the time period.
At critical condition, ##\omega=0## so time period will be infinite and so will be ##\lambda##.Therefore, the critical resistance will be the corresponding resistance(plus galvanometer resistance)of the asymptote of ##\lambda## vs. ##R_2## graph(the graph is a rectangular hyperbola).
But here's where I'm stuck.How am I supposed to find the asymptote of the graph only having the observed data and not the explicit function?
20230826_165720.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phymath7 said:
Where
$$\gamma =\frac{\beta +\frac {a} {R_2 +G}}{I}$$
What is I? At first I thought it was a typo for T but that doesn't seem to make sense.

haruspex said:
What is I? At first I thought it was a typo for T but that doesn't seem to make sense.
The denominator "I" is the moment of inertia of the coil of galvanometer.

phymath7 said:
The denominator "I" is the moment of inertia of the coil of galvanometer.
If you fit the ##(R_2,\lambda)## data to that equation, can you deduce ##\beta/I, a/I, G##?

haruspex said:
If you fit the ##(R_2,\lambda)## data to that equation, can you deduce ##\beta/I, a/I, G##?
Did you write the explicit relation between ##\lambda## and ##R_2## ?Do you see how complex this one? I am afraid that it's beyond my (and even for those who are more advanced) capability to do the fitting.

phymath7 said:
Did you write the explicit relation between ##\lambda## and ##R_2## ?Do you see how complex this one? I am afraid that it's beyond my (and even for those who are more advanced) capability to do the fitting.
Assuming you have some idea of the value of G, put that in a spreadsheet and set up columns of values of ##1/\gamma, 1/(R_2+G)##.
Have the spreadsheet produce a linear regression, showing the goodness of fit.
Tweak G to maximise the fit.

haruspex said:
Assuming you have some idea of the value of G, put that in a spreadsheet and set up columns of values of ##1/\gamma, 1/(R_2+G)##.
Have the spreadsheet produce a linear regression, showing the goodness of fit.
Tweak G to maximise the fit.
I need the relationship between ##\lambda## and ##R_2## which represents a hyperbola.How am I supposed to get that?

1. What is critical damping resistance?

Critical damping resistance is the minimum amount of resistance needed to stop the oscillations of a ballistic galvanometer in the shortest amount of time without overshooting or undershooting the equilibrium position.

2. Why is critical damping resistance important?

Critical damping resistance is important because it allows for accurate and precise measurements to be taken with a ballistic galvanometer. Without the proper amount of resistance, the galvanometer may continue to oscillate and give inaccurate readings.

3. How is critical damping resistance determined?

Critical damping resistance is determined by adjusting the resistance in a circuit until the galvanometer stops oscillating and returns to the equilibrium position in the shortest amount of time. This value is then recorded as the critical damping resistance.

4. What factors can affect the critical damping resistance of a ballistic galvanometer?

The main factors that can affect the critical damping resistance of a ballistic galvanometer are the mass and moment of inertia of the galvanometer's needle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the resistance in the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can alter the critical damping resistance.

5. How does critical damping resistance differ from other types of damping?

Critical damping resistance differs from other types of damping, such as underdamping and overdamping, in that it provides the shortest possible time for the galvanometer to return to the equilibrium position without overshooting or undershooting. Underdamping and overdamping can result in longer response times and less accurate measurements.