Hyperbolic Boundary Valued Problem

• Thread starter robby991
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi, I am trying to understand solving boundary valued partial differential equations and it's relation to hyperbolic functions. In one of my problems, there is a PDE and the solution contains the hyperbolic function "cosh". I was just curious if anyone has any information for me to read up on this, I cannot find anything in any book that gives any relation of the cosh function to solution to PDEs. Thanks.

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hi, I am trying to understand solving boundary valued partial differential equations and it's relation to hyperbolic functions. In one of my problems, there is a PDE and the solution contains the hyperbolic function "cosh". I was just curious if anyone has any information for me to read up on this, I cannot find anything in any book that gives any relation of the cosh function to solution to PDEs. Thanks.
Remember that ##\cosh(x) = \frac {e^x + e^{-x}} 2## and ##\sinh(x) = \frac {e^x - e^{-x}} 2##, so any DE for which the solutions are exponentials could have the solutions expressed as sinh or cosh functions. The hyperbolic functions come in handy because of their values of 0 or 1 when x = 0 and similarly for their derivatives. For example consider the BVP
##y''-\lambda^2y=0##

##y(0) = 0, y(a) = 0##.
Find the solution to that using the pair {##e^x,e^{-x}##} and compare that to the work using the equivalent pair {##\sinh(x),\sinh(a-x)##}. This extra simplification can come in handy in some fourier series boundary value problems in PDE's.

Last edited:
Thank you, I understand now. I am evaluating this problem which I cannot duplicate the solution. It is as follows:

##i(t) =nDF\frac{\partial P}{\partial x} @ x = 0##

Evaluating the following limit

I = Lim i(t) as t→∞

by solving the following equations and boundary conditions:

[itex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial t}=[/itex][itex]D\frac{\partial^{2}S}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{Vm}{Km}S[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial t}=[/itex][itex]D\frac{\partial^{2} P}{\partial x^{2}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{Vm}{Km}P[/itex]

b.c. [itex]\frac{\partial S}{\partial x}[/itex] = 0 @ x = 0, P = 0 @ x = 0, S = [itex]S_{0}[/itex] @ x ≥ d, P = 0 @ x ≥ d

Yields the following:

I=nDF[itex]\frac{S_{0}}{d}[/itex] (1-[itex]\frac{1}{cosh(\alpha d)}[/itex])

where, [itex]\alpha^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{Vm}{KmD}[/itex]

I am unable to produce "I" and I was wondering if someone can give me some insight. I don't completely understand the relation between [itex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial x}[/itex] and the 2 diffusion-based equations. When taking the limit, which part is evaluated? Thank you very much.