1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hyperbolic triangles proof help?

1. May 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove in hyperbolic geometry: In the accompanying figure M and N are the respective (hyperbolic) midpoints of AB and AC and θ and ∅ are the indicated angle measures. Determine, with proof, which of the following is true:
    (1): θ=∅ (2): θ<∅ (3): θ>∅ ( stands for phi)

2. Relevant equations
    I have attached a picture of the figure too. Since im in hyperbolic geometry I get to assume that the internal angle sum of a triangle <180 degrees and AAA congruence for triangles.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know where to get started. It looks simple but im thinking that I need to get congruent triangles in there somehow but I don't know how to. If you can give me a hint that be great.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where's the figure?

4. May 2, 2013 #3
    I've attached it.

5. May 2, 2013 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK I see it now.

I guess that it can take a while to appear initially.

6. May 3, 2013 #5
    The only things that I can really with is triangle defect and the the internal angle sum of triangles are less than 180 degrees. In case of quad's they are less that 360. But im also given that M and N are midpoints and I know somehow they allow me to do something but not quite sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted