I always hear the term with electrolytes

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the term "with electrolytes" often found on sports drink labels and its purpose for athletes. The term is just a fancy way of saying "salt" and these drinks are meant to replenish the salt lost during physical activity. The main ingredients in most sports drinks are sugar, salt (sodium & potassium), and baking soda. The conversation also mentions the distinct salty taste of sweat and how it is noticed when licking the skin after exercise.
KingNothing
I always hear the term "with electrolytes!"

I always hear the term "with electrolytes!" thrown onto sports drink labels. What does this mean? Is it really useful for athletes? I thought electrolytes were chemicals that conducted electricity as a liquid - but it's been a long time since chem class.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post in general discussion. Please move!

Physics news on Phys.org

You lose salt when you run. The sports drinks contains salt to replenish them. Electrolytes, when used in sports drinks, is just a fancy way of saying "salt".

By the way, the ingredients in most sports drinks are: Sugar, salt (sodium & potassium) and baking soda.
And they sell this cheapass concoction by the millions.

Yeah, if you've ever licked your skin after a sweaty exercise you will quickly notice a distinct salty taste.

pallidin said:
Yeah, if you've ever licked your skin after a sweaty exercise you will quickly notice a distinct salty taste.

Well, I usually only lick my calves, and sometimes my lower back. I guess those areas aren't very salty, so I hadn't noticed.

KingNothing said:
Well, I usually only lick my calves, and sometimes my lower back. I guess those areas aren't very salty, so I hadn't noticed.

My elbow doesn't seem very salty either, hmm...

1. What are electrolytes?

Electrolytes are minerals in your body that carry an electric charge. They are essential for various bodily functions, such as regulating fluid balance, muscle contraction, and nerve impulses.

2. Why do we need electrolytes?

Electrolytes are important for maintaining proper hydration and keeping our body functioning properly. They help regulate the amount of water in our body, as well as the pH level and nerve and muscle function.

3. What are the most common electrolytes?

The most common electrolytes are sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, phosphate, and bicarbonate. These are found in various foods and drinks, and our body needs them in specific amounts to function properly.

4. How do we lose electrolytes?

We can lose electrolytes through sweat, urine, and even through breathing. Physical activity, sweating, and illness can also cause us to lose electrolytes. It is important to replenish them through our diet or with electrolyte-containing drinks.

5. Why do sports drinks contain electrolytes?

During physical activity, we can lose a significant amount of electrolytes through sweat. Sports drinks contain electrolytes to help replenish the ones we lose and maintain proper hydration during exercise. They also provide carbohydrates for energy and can help prevent dehydration and muscle cramps.