I am a little bit confused about graphing

In summary, when given the plot of x(t), it can be confusing to graph x(4-t/2) due to the order of operations. However, by first looking at x(-t/2) and then shifting it to the left 4 units, the graph can be stretched out and not affected by the negative sign. This order is necessary in order to properly scale, reverse, and shift the graph. Understanding the conceptual approach of how each operation affects the graph can also help clarify the process.
kolycholy
so if the plot of x(t) is given, then I get confused about how to graph x(4-t/2), I know how to graph x(t+4), x(t/2) and x(-2) ..
but when they are all put together, I get very confused about the order ...
any help?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First look at [tex] x(-\frac{t}{2}) [/tex]. Then [tex] x(-\frac{t}{2} +4) [/tex] will be that graph shifted to the left 4 units. It will be stretched out (depending if it is linear, quadratic, etc..). If it is quadratic, the graph will be stretched by a factor of 4, and will not be affected by the negative sign.

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
First look at [tex] x(-\frac{t}{2}) [/tex]. Then [tex] x(-\frac{t}{2} +4) [/tex] will be that graph shifted to the left 4 units. It will be stretched out (depending if it is linear, quadratic, etc..). If it is quadratic, the graph will be stretched by a factor of 4, and will not be affected by the negative sign.
why would it strecthed out by factor of 4?

the only stretching I see is streching by factor of 2 ... coz I see t/2...
i see shifting by 4 though ...
and the order you suggested doesn't seem to work out ...

If it's a QUADRATIC, the t/2 term gets squared.

The order he suggested is the only way to do it. First you scale it, then you shift it

Office_Shredder said:
If it's a QUADRATIC, the t/2 term gets squared.

The order he suggested is the only way to do it. First you scale it, then you shift it
alright, 3 things need to be done, scaling, reversing and shifting ...
now please tell me the exact order? where does the reversal fit into?

kolycholy said:
so if the plot of x(t) is given, then I get confused about how to graph x(4-t/2), I know how to graph x(t+4), x(t/2) and x(-2) ..
but when they are all put together, I get very confused about the order ...
any help?
Knowing that something does something is not nearly as important as why something does something. There's a vey easy conceptual way to look at this.

Well, if you recall what a function is, a function is the graphical representation of how a equation's value changes as a variable changes. So let's look at basic physics equation:

D = R*t (If you like, you can corrolate it to y = mx. Right now I'm disregarding y-scale changes and translations becuase they should make sense after this explination.)

Where D = Distance, R = speed, and t = time, the independant variable for this function. Now, when we graph this function, the Y-axis is going to give us the distance traveled at a certain X value, measured in time.

Now, think about it this way: if we double the time, it is the same thing as doubling the velocity (communative property). Notice the difference in these two equations:

1) D = R*t
2) D = R*2*t = 2R*t

Which means that equation two is going twice as fast as equation one. So, when you graph it, what would you expect would happen? E2 will reach the same points as E1 in half the time, because it is operating twice as fast. This causes the "stretch" (Or scale-change) effect.

Now, let's look at adding strictly to your X-value. If I take that same equation, but I add five to X, why does it move -5 over? Well, look at it conceptually:

D = R(t+5)

What you essentially saying is that if you add 5 to it at all points, you are making it start out "earlier". So, say you give car#1 5 seconds of speed time before you give car#2. This is mathmatically described as:

Car1) D = R(t+5)
Car2) D = Rt

Notice that if you start a car out five seconds longer, it is making it 5 closer to the "end". So this causes it to shift five over to the left, because it is doing things quicker. That is, when t = -5, it is the origin, because that is actually where it started out relative to the other car --five seconds earlier.

So, you asked what happens when you have (t+4)/2. Well, it is starting out 4 seconds earlier, and it is going half as fast. Therefore, you'll have to move it back four because it "started out earlier", and stretch it out because it's going "slower".

I hope that explination helps. It took me a while to conceptualize it myself.

1. What is graphing?

Graphing is a visual representation of data using different types of graphs such as bar graphs, line graphs, or pie charts. It helps to organize and analyze data in an easily understandable manner.

2. Why is graphing important?

Graphing is important because it allows us to see patterns, trends, and relationships in data. It also helps to communicate complex information in a simplified way, making it easier to understand and interpret.

3. How do I create a graph?

To create a graph, you first need to decide what type of graph is most appropriate for your data. Then, gather the necessary data and input it into a graphing tool or software. Finally, plot the data points on the graph and label the axes and any other necessary elements.

4. What should I consider when choosing a graph type?

When choosing a graph type, you should consider the type of data you have, the purpose of the graph, and the audience you are presenting it to. Some factors to consider include the number of variables, the type of relationship between variables, and the type of data (categorical or numerical).

5. How can I improve my graphing skills?

To improve your graphing skills, practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of graphs and their uses. Additionally, pay attention to the design and aesthetics of your graphs, such as choosing appropriate colors and labels, to make them more visually appealing and easy to interpret.