Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am currently doing an assignment based on brittleness.

1. Dec 8, 2006 #1
    I am currently doing an assignment based on brittleness. But it seems like there is not much information I can get by google it..Can anyone help me to find more information about this topic?
    Thanks in advance..:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2006 #2
    I would suggest you get a copy of Material Science And Engineering: An Introduction, by William D. Callister, Jr. at the library. It has enough information to give you a background.

-Chapter 8 in the 2007 edition.
  4. Dec 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might find more fruit by googling 'fracture toughness'. The book recommended by cyrus is pretty good, as is Ingraffea & Schwalbe's 'Engineering Fracture Mechanics".
  5. Dec 9, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

.........I'd add Ted Anderson's "Fracture Mechanics" to the mix. A well written and understandable book (and widespread library wise), containing lots about different forms and types of brittleness (which is a pretty vague topic so I hope your assignment narrows it down a bit).
  6. Dec 9, 2006 #5

Staff: Mentor

Brittleness implies little plastic or permanent strain/deformation to failure.
  7. Dec 10, 2006 #6

Science Advisor

What exactly is your paper concentrating on when it comes to brittleness? Like Astro was mentioning, many materials are naturally brittle, while others can become brittle with heat treating or work hardening.

Do you have any aspects of brittleness in particular that you were hoping to cover?

For very basic aspects of brittleness in metals, take a look into why a blacksmith used to have to heat, and reheat and reheat again horseshoes when they were being made by hand in the old days.
  8. Dec 16, 2006 #7
    Does brittle material has any good side? Does it hold any advantage than others materials?
  9. Dec 16, 2006 #8
    Generally speaking, the more brittle the material, the higher the strength. The consequence is that it has zero forgiveness. If you get to the yield point you will get sudden and catastrophic failure. This is why things are typically made with metals that have some ductility to them. They will yield before failing.
  10. Dec 16, 2006 #9

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider materials typically taken as brittle like ceramics and advantages they have, use of brittle materials as coatings etc composites ..... (for example if we wouldn't have "brittle" coatings and had to rely on "ductile" materials in those applications would be in a world of hurt) (even our ductile materials would be pretty "crappy" if they wouldn't contain their brittle microstructural elements :biggrin: ). .
  11. Dec 16, 2006 #10

Science Advisor

"Brittle" is also synonymous with "rigid". So, and applications where you need a component that will not bend or flex, you would want a rigid material. This is why tungsten and carbide are used a lot in cutting tools.
  12. Dec 16, 2006 #11
    Besides by increasing the fracture toughness of certain materials to reduce the brittleness, is there any other way to do it?
  13. Dec 17, 2006 #12
    You can anneal the metal and gain ductility, but you will lose strength in the process.
  14. Dec 17, 2006 #13

What strength do you mean?
  15. Dec 17, 2006 #14
    Strength is the resistance to plastic deformation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?