Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I am drawing a blank. Need help.

  1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    What are http://www.biconet.com/birds/GIFs/stealth/acc/cableTensioner2.jpg" [Broken] called?

    I need to order some but my brain cannot recall the technical term and google can't seem to interpret what I am trying to find.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
  4. Oct 8, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I feel like an idiot. I hate when that happens.
  5. Oct 8, 2011 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I have a couple of these (very large!) on the arms of my 3-point hitch on my tractor. Interesting equipment, since each turnbuckle has left-hand and right hand threads on the shafts and the coupler. Turn the coupler in one direction and the assembly contracts. It retracts if you turn the coupler in the other direction. Very old technology, but still really handy.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook