I am opposed to scary movies about vampires

• Thread starter Rach3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, the conversation revolves around a viewer's inability to sleep due to watching a movie late at night, particularly the movie "From Dusk Till Dawn." The conversation then shifts to discussing the quality of the movie and recommending other, potentially scarier, movies to watch. There is also a mention of a strange occurrence during the viewing of the movie and a debate about whether or not the movie is scary. The conversation ends with a recommendation for therapy in the form of watching "Blade" and a humorous exchange about the quality of the movie.
Rach3
It's not my fault that I'm not going to be able to sleep at all, this weekend. I blame the television for making me watch From dusk to dawn at 3 A.M. Maybe I should lawsuit something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where has logic and rational thinking gotten us?

Rach3 said:
It's not my fault that I'm not going to be able to sleep at all, this weekend. I blame the television for making me watch From dusk to dawn at 3 A.M. Maybe I should lawsuit something.
Perhaps you should sleep on it. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

That movie isn't scary at all man. OTOH, very little scares me anymore.

From Dusk Till Dawn was terrible...

yomamma said:
From Dusk Till Dawn was terrible...

Very bad movie, yes (I was disappointed with Quentin Tarantino for having anything to do with it, but then the movie was directed by Robert Rodriguez, IIRC).

Something rather weird and spooky did happen when I was watching the movie though. This was late evening (of course), I was watching the movie with my dad. At the pivotal scene when they all reveal themselves to be vampires, a bat comes flying in from outside the house, zooms in on the lamp right next to the TV (where the movie's playing) and roosts upside down. :

This had never happened before (or since). So it was exceedingly weird that a bat should choose the moment when we were watching a vampire movie (and the vamp transformation was taking place on screen) to grace us with its presence.

Anyway, my dad and I laughed about it, I shooed it away, chased it around the house for a while until it flew back through the doorway I opened for it.

Beat that for strange occurences during movies. :biggrin:

Rach3 said:
It's not my fault that I'm not going to be able to sleep at all, this weekend.

What exactly did you find so scary about From Dusk till Dawn ?

marlon

There are much scarier(and better) movies that From Dusk Till Dawn...go watch some...

yomamma said:
There are much scarier(and better) movies that From Dusk Till Dawn...go watch some...

No. 10 characters

No?
What about a classic like Nosferatu with Max Schreck in it?
Go watch it.

I think it's impossible to find the old Nosferatu anywhere

Rach (is that short for Rachmaninov ?)

I recommend the Blade movies. They are just not too scary but still somehow entertaining. There are some great fighting sequences and the opening scene (with the music as well) of the first Blade movie is very spectacular (but not in a scary way).

These are ideal movies for softies like yourself :)
If you want to explore something more interesting, i can recommend some other titles but i will PM them to you. Otherwise, people will start thinking that i am promoting violent movies again :rofl:

Can you imagine ?

regards
marlon

arildno said:
No?
What about a classic like Nosferatu with Max Schreck in it?
Go watch it.
:approve:
Great stuff indeed. I also like the modern adaptation with Malkovich and Dafoe.

marlon

I recommend the Blade movies. They are just not too scary but still somehow entertaining. There are some great fighting sequences and the opening scene (with the music as well) of the first Blade movie is very spectacular (but not in a scary way).

Blade is the kind of movie you only watch once, because you got suckered into buying a movie ticket.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Blade is the kind of movie you only watch once, because you got suckered into buying a movie ticket.

Let's keep an open mind about this, ok
Yes, let's do that

:rolleyes:

Watching/admiring Blade is a perfect therapy to overcome the fears and weaknesses of the OP.

Dr. marlon, MD, Crazyness Inducer

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5823106073263147054

AHAHAHHAHA, soooooooo wrong... sooooo wrong...

Open mind about blade? The first movie sucked. ARRHH I'm a big devil of fire made on crappy CGI! Roarr! I have seen better animation on a regualr nintendo...

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5823106073263147054

AHAHAHHAHA, soooooooo wrong... sooooo wrong...

Open mind about blade? The first movie sucked. ARRHH I'm a big devil of fire made on crappy CGI! Roarr! I have seen better animation on a regualr nintendo...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now, this is good therapy...shock therapy that is...

Great link man, thanks.

marlon

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why are you opposed to scary movies about vampires?

As a scientist, I am not opposed to scary movies about vampires as a personal preference, but rather because they often perpetuate harmful stereotypes and misinformation about vampires and the supernatural. They also often rely on sensationalized violence and gore, which can desensitize viewers to real-world violence.

2. Do you believe in vampires?

As a scientist, I do not believe in the existence of supernatural creatures such as vampires. While there are still many mysteries in the world that science has yet to fully explain, there is no scientific evidence to support the existence of vampires.

3. What is your opinion on the portrayal of vampires in movies and TV shows?

I believe that the portrayal of vampires in popular media often perpetuates harmful stereotypes and misconceptions about them. This can have a negative impact on how people view and treat individuals who identify as vampires or practice vampirism as a lifestyle or spiritual belief.

4. Do you think scary movies about vampires have any educational value?

While some may argue that scary movies about vampires can educate viewers about mythology and folklore, the majority of these movies are heavily fictionalized and often promote harmful stereotypes and misinformation. There are many other, more accurate sources of information about vampires and the supernatural that can be used for educational purposes.

5. Are there any benefits to watching scary movies about vampires?

As a scientist, I cannot comment on the potential psychological benefits or drawbacks of watching scary movies about vampires. However, I do believe that it is important for individuals to critically analyze the media they consume and be aware of how it may influence their beliefs and perceptions.