Weight of water displaced by a boat in salt water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
1MileCrash
Messages
1,338
Reaction score
41

Homework Statement



A boat floating in fresh water displaces water weighing 34.7 kN.

(a) What is the weight of the water that this boat displaces when floating in salt water of density 1.10 x 10^3 kg/m3?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I am utterly confused. They tell me the boat displaces a 34.7 kN weight of water, then ask for the weight of the water displaced. Looks like they gave it to me in the question?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I've just been informed the weight actually refers to the boat. Answer is still in the question though. :P
 
Ibix said:
Yes. I presume there's a part (b) that's non-trivial.

Yes, simply the difference of volume for the salt water and fresh water displaced.

I did beat the water temple in ocarina of time, I got this.
 
They give you the weight of the fresh water displaced, they want the weight of the salt water displaced. But since the weight of the water the boat displaces is equal to the weight of the boat (so long as the boat's floating) then yes, they would just be the same value.
 
Looks like a problem dedicated to Archimedes' principle.
Apparently the professor thought people would need a hint, so he added question (a)...