1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: I can't believe this is a homework problem

1. Jun 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three people register for a room; the desk clerk charges them $30. The manager returns and says this was on overcharge, instructing the clerk to return $5. The clerk takes five $1 bills, but pockets $2 as a tip and returns only $1 to each guest. Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $2 went to the attendant. What happened to the "missing" dollar?

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

Is it something with the wording?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2010 #2
    "Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $2 went to the attendant."

This statement is wrong. The actual payment the three guests made is 30 - 1*3 = 27 dollars, of which $25 goes to the hotel and $2 goes to the clerk. No bill vanished :biggrin:

Edit: To edit the above statement:
    "Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $3 went back to the guests."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  4. Jun 24, 2010 #3
    It's an old and I suppose classic question which is worded in a way designed to confuse.The scenario I am most familiar with relates to three diners in a restaurant.

5. Jun 24, 2010 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a very old riddle. There is nothing wrong with the wording.

6. Jun 24, 2010 #5
    Huh? Where does the 30 come into play here? The problem specifically says that a $30 payment took place!

[PLAIN]http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2007/08/skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jun 24, 2010 #6
    Is the attendant paid separately from the clerk?

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    Explain this to me as if I were a 4-year-old.

9. Jun 24, 2010 #8
    Sorry, misred it. So $2 goes to the attendant.
    Yes, the guests at first paid $30. But each was given back $1. It is the money they actually paid, i.e. $27, that went to both the attendant and the hotel eventually.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook