I can't believe this is a homework problem

In summary, three guests paid $30 for a room, but the attendant only returned $1 to each guest and pocketed $2 as a tip. This means that each guest actually paid $9 and $2 went to the attendant, leaving $25 for the hotel. There is no missing dollar, as the $30 payment was split between the attendant and the hotel, with each receiving $1 less than the original amount paid by the guests.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

Three people register for a room; the desk clerk charges them $30. The manager returns and says this was on overcharge, instructing the clerk to return $5. The clerk takes five $1 bills, but pockets $2 as a tip and returns only $1 to each guest. Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $2 went to the attendant. What happened to the "missing" dollar?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it something with the wording?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $2 went to the attendant."

This statement is wrong. The actual payment the three guests made is 30 - 1*3 = 27 dollars, of which $25 goes to the hotel and $2 goes to the clerk. No bill vanished :biggrin:

Edit: To edit the above statement:
"Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $3 went back to the guests."

Last edited:
It's an old and I suppose classic question which is worded in a way designed to confuse.The scenario I am most familiar with relates to three diners in a restaurant.

This is a very old riddle. There is nothing wrong with the wording.

hikaru1221 said:
"Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $2 went to the attendant."

This statement is wrong. The actual payment the three guests made is 30 - 1*3 = 27 dollars, of which $25 goes to the hotel and $2 goes to the clerk. No bill vanished :biggrin:

Edit: To edit the above statement:
"Of the original $30 payment, each guest actually paid $9, and $3 went back to the guests."

Huh? Where does the 30 come into play here? The problem specifically says that a $30 payment took place!

[PLAIN]http://icanhascheezburger.wordpress.com/files/2007/08/skeptical-cat-is-fraught-with-skepticism.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the attendant paid separately from the clerk?

Explain this to me as if I were a 4-year-old.

Sorry, misred it. So $2 goes to the attendant.
Yes, the guests at first paid $30. But each was given back $1. It is the money they actually paid, i.e. $27, that went to both the attendant and the hotel eventually.

1. Why do we have homework problems in science?

Homework problems are an essential part of learning in science. They help students apply the concepts they have learned in class and develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Are homework problems important for my grades?

Yes, homework problems are typically assigned to assess your understanding of the material and contribute to your overall grade in the class. Completing them also helps you prepare for exams.

3. What should I do if I can't solve a homework problem?

If you are struggling with a homework problem, don't get discouraged. You can ask your teacher or classmates for help, review your notes and textbook, or seek online resources for additional explanations and practice problems.

4. How do homework problems relate to real-world applications?

Many homework problems are designed to simulate real-world scenarios and help students understand the practical applications of scientific concepts. By solving these problems, students gain a better understanding of how science is relevant to their everyday lives.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with homework problems?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of a strong and responsible learner. Seeking clarification and guidance from teachers and peers can greatly improve your understanding and performance on homework problems.