There is a series of ODE problems I can't understand

In summary: If he thinks he can solve the equation by "integrating both sides" I think he's in for a surprise.In summary, the conversation discusses various ODE problems involving first order equations and methods for solving them, including integrating factors and change of variables. The specific equations mentioned are ty'+3y=sin(t)/t^2 and t^3y'+2t^2y=0, with the latter being able to be converted to an equation with constant coefficients through the substitution x=ln(t). The conversation also addresses a mistake made in solving an earlier problem, reminding the OP to first master the first order integrating factor method before attempting more advanced methods.
kikko

Homework Statement

The problems are these:

y' + (3y/t) = (Sin(t)/t^3)
ty'-2y = t^3 + t^2, t>0
(general case)

y't^3+(3yt^2), y(2) = 0
(specific case)

Homework Equations

Basic ODE solving skills

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to make the y's and y''s go on one side, and make the t's go on the other side of the equation. I think there is some completing a square trick or something to solve those.

Now, I did this problem earlier:
y + 3y = te^-3t

and integrated and multiplied both sides by two to get an implicit solution of:

2y+6y^2 = (-2/9)e^-3x (3x+1) + C

Did I do this correctly? As far as I now, all I have to do is integrate both sides (even though I don't see any dy's or dx's, so am confused).

Physics news on Phys.org
y' + (3y/t) = (Sin(t)/t^3). on this problem try multiplying by an integrating factor.
look carefully at the left hand side, what would I have to multiply by to run the product rule backwards.

I remember integrating factors, but I don't see one I can apply.

Can we walk through it step by step?

the y' + (3y/t) = (sin(t)/(t^3))

I can't see how to solve this through Exact Equations methods or Integrating Factors methods.

kikko said:
y + 3y = te^-3t

Did I do this correctly?
I presume you mean the equation was ##y'+3y=te^{-3t}##. But no! That is most emphatically not correct. Let me count the ways:
1. The answer would be a function of t, not x.
2. y is an unknown function of t. You can't find its antiderivative that way. If it happened that ##y = \sin(t)##, would you claim its antiderivative was ##\frac{\sin^2t} 2##?
3. Even if you could the antiderivative of 3y would be ##\frac{3y^2} 2## and when you multiplied it by 2 you wouldn't get ##6y^2##.
I'm thinking you best read your text about the use of integrating factors for first order linear equations.

I see how that was wrong. I can't find in my textbook how to do problems like the ones I have listed. It's the Boyce ODE textbook. I'd likely be able to solve them all if we walked through 1 step by step.

kikko said:
I see how that was wrong. I can't find in my textbook how to do problems like the ones I have listed. It's the Boyce ODE textbook. I'd likely be able to solve them all if we walked through 1 step by step.

I have the Boyce & DiPrima "Elementary Differential Equations" 6th edition sitting in front of me. In section 2.1 on page 19 of this edition it explains the integrating factor theory. Then examples 2 and 3 on pages 20-22 give worked examples. Have you looked at those?

kikko said:

Homework Statement

The problems are these:

y' + (3y/t) = (Sin(t)/t^3)
Multiply both sides by t to get ty'+ 3y= sin(t)/t^2.
That's an "Euler type" or "equipotential" equation and the change of variable x= ln(t) will convert it to an equation with constant coefficients.

ty'-2y = t^3 + t^2, t>0
this is, as it stands, an equipotential equation.

(general case)

y't^3+(3yt^2), y(2) = 0
(specific case)
I assume you mean t^3y'+ 2t^2y= 0. Dividing both sides by t^2 gives ty'+ 2y= 0, again an equipotential equation. In all of these, the substitution x= ln(t) gives an equation with constant coefficients.

Homework Equations

Basic ODE solving skills

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how to make the y's and y''s go on one side, and make the t's go on the other side of the equation. I think there is some completing a square trick or something to solve those.

y + 3y = te^-3t

Did I do this correctly? As far as I now, all I have to do is integrate both sides (even though I don't see any dy's or dx's, so am confused).

HallsofIvy said:
Multiply both sides by t to get ty'+ 3y= sin(t)/t^2.
That's an "Euler type" or "equipotential" equation and the change of variable x= ln(t) will convert it to an equation with constant coefficients.
True enough, but given the OP's apparent lack of sophistication with solution methods, woudn't you think he should first master the first order integrating factor method? He's likely to have more trouble with the ##x=\ln t## change of variables than with the solution itself.

Related to There is a series of ODE problems I can't understand

1. What are ODE problems?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equations, which are equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model many real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. Why are ODE problems difficult to understand?

ODE problems can be difficult to understand because they involve complex mathematical concepts and techniques. They also often require a deep understanding of the underlying physical or biological system being modeled.

3. How can I improve my understanding of ODE problems?

To improve your understanding of ODE problems, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations. It can also be helpful to practice solving various types of ODE problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed.

4. What are some common techniques for solving ODE problems?

Some common techniques for solving ODE problems include separation of variables, substitution, and power series solutions. The specific technique used often depends on the form of the ODE and the initial conditions given.

5. Are there any resources or tools available to help with understanding ODE problems?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with understanding ODE problems. These include textbooks, online tutorials, and software programs specifically designed for solving ODE problems. It can also be helpful to join a study group or attend lectures or workshops on ODEs.