I can't decide on what i want to major in

• Programs
  • Thread starter Ultimate4000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Major
In summary, the individual is currently a sophomore in college and initially began as an engineering physics major. However, after taking O-Chem I, they realized that chemistry was their true passion. They have a general interest in becoming a geo-scientist or possibly studying astronomy. They are unsure of what major to pursue and are considering double majoring in chemistry and physics or majoring in one and minoring in the other. Advice is given to pursue a physics degree with a minor in geology or taking courses in geophysics for those interested in becoming a geophysicist. The individual is also advised to consider why engineering was not the right fit for them, as they may encounter similar challenges in the physical sciences.
Ultimate4000
I'm currently a sophomore in college and when i started college, my major was in engineering physics. Later down the road, i realized the engineering isn't for me. In High school i loved chemistry and i still do till today. After i took O-Chem I, i was sure that chemistry was the right thing for me. The one thing I'm worried about is the future Job outlook for people with a BS in Chemistry. I also took physics while in college and even though my facial expressions showed that i did not like physics, honestly i was enjoying what i was learning and i wanted to learn more about physics. Now my dilemma is that i don't know what to major in. I have a general idea of what i want to do later in life and that is to be a Geo-scientist (either a Geo-chemist or a Geo-physicist), i also thought about doing something relating in astronomy, only because i enjoy learning about the Stars, galaxy, and the universe.
What would be best for me to major in or should i just double major in chemistry and physics or major in one and minor in another.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to be a geophysicist your best bet is to do a physics degree with a minor in geology or at least with having taken some courses in geophysics.

You'll also need to figure out WHY engineering wasn't for you. If it has anything to do with the rigor of the workload, then you're going to run into the same problems in any of the physical sciences.

1. What majors should I consider?

When trying to decide on a major, it's important to consider your interests, strengths, and career goals. Some majors that may be worth exploring include ones related to your favorite subjects or hobbies, or ones that align with potential career paths you are interested in. It may also be helpful to speak with a career counselor or take a career assessment to get some ideas.

2. Will my major determine my future career?

While your major can certainly influence your career options, it does not necessarily determine your future career. Many people end up working in fields that are not directly related to their major. What's more important is gaining transferable skills and gaining experience through internships and other opportunities.

3. How will choosing a major affect my future job prospects?

Some majors may have more direct career paths, while others may offer more flexibility. However, it's important to remember that employers often value transferable skills such as communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking over a specific major. It's also possible to gain relevant skills and experience through internships and extracurricular activities, regardless of your major.

4. What if I change my mind about my major?

It's normal to change your mind about your major, and it's important to remember that it's not set in stone. Many universities allow students to change their major within the first year or two of their studies. It's also possible to take elective courses in different subjects to explore your interests and potentially change your major later on.

5. How do I decide between my interests and potential career opportunities?

This can be a difficult decision to make, but it's important to find a balance between your interests and potential career opportunities. Consider researching different career options related to your interests and speak with professionals in those fields to gain more insight. You can also consider double-majoring or minoring in a subject that is both interesting to you and has potential career opportunities.