1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I can't seem to find this limit

1. Jan 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the rule of multiplying with the "conjugate", for example what's above multiplied by (√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3)/(√n^3+3n)+(√n^3+2n^2+3).
    But I'm left with a huge mess :(
    I also tried dividing the top and the bottom by n^2 in the square roots to get the n out, but that didn't work either :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The conjugate method looks good here. It doesn't give a mess in the numerator, right? In the denominator, do you need all the terms, or is it sufficient then only to look at the leading terms?

4. Jan 9, 2016 #3
    The image is so bad I can't even see the value of the exponents, try to write it out in latex next time.
    Assuming what you wrote is ##\frac{\sqrt{n^3+3n}-\sqrt{n^3+2n^2+3}}{\sqrt{n+2}}##
    multiplying with the conjugate works for me. After you done that note that only the "highest order" terms matter.

5. Jan 10, 2016 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

After you multiply by the conjugate, you want to pull the highest power of n, not ##n^2##, out of each of the square roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted