Find the limit of the expression

In summary: So the book is wrong.In summary, the limit of the function is 1, not e^2 as given in the book. The book is incorrect.
franktherabbit

Homework Statement

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}$$

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I tried
##\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(\frac{n^2+2n+3-2}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=##
##\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1+\frac{-2}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=##
##\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1 +\frac{-2}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{n^2+2n+3}{-2}\frac{-2}{n^2+2n+3}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=##
##e^{\lim_{x\to\infty}\frac{-4n^2}{(n^2+2n+3)(n+1)}}=1##
and i get 1 but i don't think this is correct. My book gives ##e^2## as the solution. What do you think is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
franktherabbit said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried
##\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(\frac{n^2+2n+3-2}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=##
##\lim_{x\to\infty} \left(1 +\frac{-2}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{n^2+2n+3}{-2}\frac{-2}{n^2+2n+3}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=##
and i get 1 but i don't think this is correct. My book gives ##e^2## as the solution. What do you think is wrong?
Your limit is of the indeterminate form ##[1^{\infty}]##. The usual way to deal with this type of problem is to let ##u = \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}##, and then take the natural log of both sides. Then take the limit, keeping in mind that you can usually switch the order of the limit and ln operations.

Mark44 said:
Your limit is of the indeterminate form ##[1^{\infty}]##. The usual way to deal with this type of problem is to let ##u = \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}##, and then take the natural log of both sides. Then take the limit, keeping in mind that you can usually switch the order of the limit and ln operations.
So, ##\ln u=\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}##
##\ln u=\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
##\lim_{n\to\infty}\ln u=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
##\lim_{n\to\infty}\ln u=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
Is this what you meant? I still get infinity at the first part, how to deal with this?

franktherabbit said:
So, ##\ln u=\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}##
##\ln u=\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
##\lim_{n\to\infty}\ln u=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
##\lim_{n\to\infty}\ln u=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{2n^2}{n+1}\ln \left(\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)##
Is this what you meant? I still get infinity at the first part, how to deal with this?
The first two steps look OK, but not after that. In the 2nd equation, write the righthand side as ##\frac{\ln \left(\frac{n^2 + 2n + 1}{n^2 + 2n + 3}\right)}{\frac{n + 1}{2n^2}}##. This is of the indeterminate form ##[\frac 0 0 ]##, so L'Hopital's Rule applies.

franktherabbit said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I tried

Your result is correct:
$$\lim_{n \to \infty} \left(\frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3}\right)^{\frac{2n^2}{n+1}}=1$$
Note: the limit is for ##n \to \infty##, not some mythical ##x## going to ##\infty##.

This is easy to check:
$$ \ln \frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3} = -\frac{2}{n^2} + O\left(\frac{1}{n^3}\right), $$
so
$$\frac{2n^2}{n+1} \ln \frac{n^2+2n+1}{n^2+2n+3} = -\frac{4}{n} + O \left( \frac{1}{n^2} \right) \to 0.$$
Since the logarithm goes to 0 the function itself goes to 1.

Also: when the problem is submitted to Maple, the limit is given as 1.

Likes franktherabbit

1. What is the purpose of finding the limit of an expression?

The limit of an expression is used to determine the behavior of a function as the input values approach a specific value. It helps us understand the overall trend of a function and make predictions about its behavior.

2. How do you find the limit of an expression?

To find the limit of an expression, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, simplifying, or using the properties of limits. You can also use graphical methods such as creating a table of values or using a graphing calculator.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function approaching the specific value from one side, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit considers the behavior of the function from both sides and they must be equal for the limit to exist.

4. Can the limit of an expression exist even if the function is not defined at that point?

Yes, the limit of an expression can exist even if the function is not defined at that point. This is because the limit only looks at the behavior of the function as it approaches a specific value, not the actual value at that point.

5. Why is finding the limit of an expression important in calculus?

Finding the limit of an expression is important in calculus because it is the foundation for many concepts such as continuity, derivatives, and integrals. It allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make accurate calculations and predictions in real-world applications.