I did not know this technology was so far advanced

• Thread starter glondor
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Fantastic and kinda spooky vid showcasing Flex Pickers. I didn't know what they were either.

http://video.stumbleupon.com/#p=d3zf25dmju

Answers and Replies

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
mmmm pain au chocolade.

Very cool.

Robot dog:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028&q=robot+dog&total=2201&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0 [Broken]

This is why I do controls engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Wow I never though muffin organization could be so cool...

Does this make me a nerd?

I love muffins.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Very cool.

Robot dog:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5349770802105160028&q=robot+dog&total=2201&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0 [Broken]

This is why I do controls engineering.
You just want to test how it recovers when it jumps from a speeding car. :wink:

How it's Made a program on the Discovery Channel shows all kinds of robotic manufacturing technology. There are a lot of videos from the program on Youtube. Sometimes it is more interesting to watch something that is still hand made.:wink:

Mk
This one's pretty cool:
"Self-assembling self-replicating robots"

Sort of off topic, but if I get a bachelors in physics, can I still end up working on robots or AI? I am still really interested in that, but not sure what to do if I want to pursue that further.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Seems kind of inefficient to me. I mean, they package those nice yummy chocolate muffins with the boring chocolate chip ones...what a waste. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

(I noticed a few sausages escaping earlier in the video too.)

You would definately like the tv show how its made. The title is self explanatory.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The sausage picking was kinda scary. I had this image of a company office party. Drunken coworkers sneak off to the assembly line room for a romantic interlude. Long story short: naked man + accidentally activated sausage picker. I'll leave the resulting newspaper headline to your imaginations.

I am pretty sure that the machines are very gentle. I mean, the muffins and sausages aren't damaged.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mk
Sort of off topic, but if I get a bachelors in physics, can I still end up working on robots or AI? I am still really interested in that, but not sure what to do if I want to pursue that further.
If you have a passion for something and you're intelligent, you can end up doing it. If you want to be designing robots or AI though, that sounds like computer science and programming.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Poop, do they have any AI classes at your school? Could you fit one into your schedule just to try it out?

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Seems kind of inefficient to me. I mean, they package those nice yummy chocolate muffins with the boring chocolate chip ones...what a waste. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

I would suspect that the vision system detected some flaw, making them unsuitable for packaging, those must be headed for the recycle line.

Integral
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Be careful, you may get what you ask for. I work with robots, I have a BS in physics. HOWEVER, you do not need a Physics, or any other degree. Most of the people I work with have AA's in electronics.

I think that, for the most part, you would find industrial robots to be pretty boring.

Now the vision system that directs those muffin and sausage graping robots must be something to behold. All our vision system does is find a small circle, we have trouble keeping them going reliably. I cannot imagine what it takes to teach a vision system to recognize a bad muffin as different from a good one.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now the vision system that directs those muffin and sausage graping robots must be something to behold. All our vision system does is find a small circle, we have trouble keeping them going reliably. I cannot imagine what it takes to teach a vision system to recognize a bad muffin as different from a good one.
Not really a big deal: Size parameters and color.

But, in these sorts of applications the strategy can very complicated. In some systems that I've worked with where the product stream is highly irregular, the system had to scan the field and determine the sequence needed to catch all product before it passes the work zone. I have worked on applications where there is a Ph.D. that does nothing but these sorts of calculations - the salesman problem, I guess.

Last edited:
Mk
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I was kind of thinking that, myself. Packaging the chocolate with the chocolate chip ones is okay, but they should program in some imperfections using a Gaussian distribution. A little less perfect robot that sometimes packaged 3 chocolate with one chocolate chip or 3 choc chip with 1 chocolate would be nice. And being able to find a rare all chocolate one or an all chocolate chip one would be a great find!

(And I'm not sure the escaping sausages were flawed, since the escaping ones were always located about the same location on the belt. Edit: Actually, that's not true. Once way over on the left got skipped, too. I think it's because there was no room on the belt the sausages were being placed on. Too many sausages were on the belt in too short of a time.)

Last edited: