I do not why the particle does the simple harmonic motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the initial conditions for a particle in simple harmonic motion, specifically focusing on the decrease of r over time. The conversation delves into the equation for acceleration in circular motion and the use of exponential terms to create a linear combination that always decreases without going negative. Through a series of questions and answers, it is determined that the value of A must equal zero in order for the function to decrease without going negative.
xiaozegu

Homework Equations

I do not why the particle does the simple harmonic motion. And how to find such innitial condition to satify r decreases continually in time.

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b

Is it need to take derivative of r?

Attachments

• QQ截图20121117085320.jpg
    QQ截图20121117085320.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
The equation given is NOT one of harmonic motion. It contains exponential non-periodic terms.

As for how to obtain the equation, recall the formula for acceleration in circular motion.

Is it a resistance force? If not, how can r decrease?

Before you can answer the question "how can r decrease", you must obtain the acceleration of the particle.

So it needs A+B<0?

xiaozegu said:
So it needs A+B<0?
Assuming γ>0 (which you can, without loss of generality), how do the individual terms e-γt and e+γt vary as t increases? How could you make a linear combination of them that always decreases?

I can get Be2γt>A

xiaozegu said:
I can get Be2γt>A
Do you mean that for any A and B the above will be true for all sufficiently large t? Not so.
If that's not what you meant, what do you mean?
Please answer the specific questions I asked before: how does each of the two terms change as t increases?

haruspex said:
Assuming γ>0 (which you can, without loss of generality), how do the individual terms e-γt and e+γt vary as t increases? How could you make a linear combination of them that always decreases?

If γ >0, e-γt decreases as time goes up, e+γt increase. So I need find the derivative of these two items make de+γt/dt>de-γt/dt?

xiaozegu said:
If γ >0, e-γt decreases as time goes up, e+γt increase. So I need find the derivative of these two items make de+γt/dt>de-γt/dt?
No, you need to find a linear combination of e+γt and e-γt, i.e. something of the form Ae+γt + Be-γt, which decreases (without going negative) as t increases. You have correctly worked out that e-γt does that. There's a very easy solution for A and B.

haruspex said:
No, you need to find a linear combination of e+γt and e-γt, i.e. something of the form Ae+γt + Be-γt, which decreases (without going negative) as t increases. You have correctly worked out that e-γt does that. There's a very easy solution for A and B.

If B is negative, is it OK?

xiaozegu said:
If B is negative, is it OK?
With A being what? If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

haruspex said:
With A being what? If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

So it needs A>0,B<0?

xiaozegu said:
So it needs A>0,B<0?
Instead of firing off guesses, please try to answer my questions: If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

haruspex said:
Instead of firing off guesses, please try to answer my questions: If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

If A>0, r will decrease as time, If A<0, r will increase as time.

xiaozegu said:
If A>0, r will decrease as time, If A<0, r will increase as time.
We may be at cross purposes here. In my posts I have A as the coefficient for the +γ term and B as that for the -γ term. Do you have it the other way around?
Anyway, what I'm trying to steer you to is that if A > 0 then Ae+γt will tend to +∞ as t→+∞, and completely dominate over the e-γt term, making it irrelevant (regardless of the value of B). Can you see that?
Conversely, if A < 0 then Ae+γt will tend to -∞ as t→+∞, again completely dominating the e-γt term, making it irrelevant.
So if you need the function to decrease as t→+∞ but without going negative, what does that leave as a possible value for A?

haruspex said:
We may be at cross purposes here. In my posts I have A as the coefficient for the +γ term and B as that for the -γ term. Do you have it the other way around?
Anyway, what I'm trying to steer you to is that if A > 0 then Ae+γt will tend to +∞ as t→+∞, and completely dominate over the e-γt term, making it irrelevant (regardless of the value of B). Can you see that?
Conversely, if A < 0 then Ae+γt will tend to -∞ as t→+∞, again completely dominating the e-γt term, making it irrelevant.
So if you need the function to decrease as t→+∞ but without going negative, what does that leave as a possible value for A?

I think it is A>0 and A>B

xiaozegu said:
I think it is A>0 and A>B
No, if A>0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →+∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A>0.
Similarly, if A<0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →-∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A<0.
What is left?

haruspex said:
No, if A>0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →+∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A>0.
Similarly, if A<0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →-∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A<0.
What is left?

A equals to zero. Because r cannot be negative, so A cannot <0. Plus, B>0.

xiaozegu said:
A equals to zero.
Yes!

haruspex said:
Yes!

thank you very much

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force acting on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around its equilibrium position with a constant period and amplitude.

2. What causes an object to undergo simple harmonic motion?

An object undergoes simple harmonic motion when there is a restoring force acting on it that is directly proportional to its displacement from equilibrium. This can be caused by a variety of factors, such as a spring or a pendulum.

3. How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant or the gravitational constant, depending on the system. This equation assumes that there is no damping or external forces acting on the object.

4. What is the relationship between simple harmonic motion and energy conservation?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant. As the object oscillates back and forth, its energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential energy, but the total amount of energy remains the same. This is known as energy conservation.

5. Can objects undergo simple harmonic motion in all directions?

No, simple harmonic motion can only occur in one dimension. This means that the object is only moving in one direction, either back and forth or up and down. However, it is possible for an object to undergo circular motion, which is a combination of horizontal and vertical simple harmonic motions.