1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I do not why the particle does the simple harmonic motion.

1. Nov 17, 2012 #1
    2. Relevant equations

I do not why the particle does the simple harmonic motion. And how to find such innitial condition to satify r decreases continually in time.

3. The attempt at a solution[/b

Is it need to take derivative of r?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2012 #2
    The equation given is NOT one of harmonic motion. It contains exponential non-periodic terms.

As for how to obtain the equation, recall the formula for acceleration in circular motion.

4. Nov 17, 2012 #3
    Is it a resistance force? If not, how can r decrease?

5. Nov 17, 2012 #4
    Before you can answer the question "how can r decrease", you must obtain the acceleration of the particle.

6. Nov 17, 2012 #5
    So it needs A+B<0?

7. Nov 17, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Assuming γ>0 (which you can, without loss of generality), how do the individual terms e-γt and e+γt vary as t increases? How could you make a linear combination of them that always decreases?

8. Nov 17, 2012 #7
    I can get Be2γt>A

9. Nov 17, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Do you mean that for any A and B the above will be true for all sufficiently large t? Not so.
    If that's not what you meant, what do you mean?
    Please answer the specific questions I asked before: how does each of the two terms change as t increases?

10. Nov 17, 2012 #9
    If γ >0, e-γt decreases as time goes up, e+γt increase. So I need find the derivative of these two items make de+γt/dt>de-γt/dt?

11. Nov 18, 2012 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, you need to find a linear combination of e+γt and e-γt, i.e. something of the form Ae+γt + Be-γt, which decreases (without going negative) as t increases. You have correctly worked out that e-γt does that. There's a very easy solution for A and B.

12. Nov 18, 2012 #11
    If B is negative, is it OK?

13. Nov 18, 2012 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

With A being what? If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

14. Nov 18, 2012 #13
    So it needs A>0,B<0?

15. Nov 18, 2012 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Instead of firing off guesses, please try to answer my questions: If A > 0, what will happen as t increases (regardless of B)? If A < 0 what will happen?

16. Nov 18, 2012 #15
    If A>0, r will decrease as time, If A<0, r will increase as time.

17. Nov 18, 2012 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

We may be at cross purposes here. In my posts I have A as the coefficient for the +γ term and B as that for the -γ term. Do you have it the other way around?
    Anyway, what I'm trying to steer you to is that if A > 0 then Ae+γt will tend to +∞ as t→+∞, and completely dominate over the e-γt term, making it irrelevant (regardless of the value of B). Can you see that?
    Conversely, if A < 0 then Ae+γt will tend to -∞ as t→+∞, again completely dominating the e-γt term, making it irrelevant.
    So if you need the function to decrease as t→+∞ but without going negative, what does that leave as a possible value for A?

18. Nov 19, 2012 #17
    I think it is A>0 and A>B

19. Nov 19, 2012 #18

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, if A>0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →+∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A>0.
    Similarly, if A<0 then Ae+γt+Be-γt →-∞ as t→+∞, for all B. So we can absolutely rule out A<0.
    What is left?

20. Nov 19, 2012 #19
    A equals to zero. Because r cannot be negative, so A cannot <0. Plus, B>0.

21. Nov 19, 2012 #20

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook