No of ordered pairs satisfying this equation

• Thread starter cr7einstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of ordered pairs (x,y) that satisfy the equation 13+12[tan^-1(x)]=24[ln(x)]+8[e^x]+6[cos^-1(y)], where [.] represents the greatest integer function. The solution is found to be zero through a simplified approach and using the properties of the greatest integer function.
cr7einstein

Homework Statement

We are required to find the no. of ordered pairs ##(x,y)## satisfying the equation

##13+12[tan^{-1}x]=24[ln x]+8[e^x]+6[cos^{-1}y]##. (##[.]## is the greatest integer function, e.g. ##[2.3]=2##, ##[5.6]=5##, ##[-2.5]=-3## etc)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer happens to be zero. I tried to arrange the terms so that I can show that the ranges on either side of the equation don't overlap, but the logarithmic and exponential terms always make the range the set of real numbers, so that doesn't work. Also, the constraint on the domain is that ##x## must be positive because of the logarithm term. I then tried to study two cases ##x>1## and then ##x## between zero and one. But I haven't made any progress. Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making it much too complicated. Ignore what's inside the [] brackets.

@haruspex what do you mean? any suggestion ?

cr7einstein said:
@haruspex what do you mean? any suggestion ?
Write out the equation, treating the terms inside the [] brackets as arbitrary unknowns. What does it look like?
Remember that the [] function itself always returns an integer.

Likes cr7einstein
@haruspex Thanks! One side is an odd integer and the other an even integer; so no solutions...but is there a 'rigorous' way to do this??

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
cr7einstein said:
@haruspex Thanks! One side is an odd integer and the other an even integer; so no solutions...but is there a 'rigorous' way to do this??
Take mod 2.

@haruspex haha...okay I'll stop now :P. I'll mark this as solved now. I was trying to work it out using the properties of [.] and ranges of the functions involved but looks like it doesn't work here.

What does "No of ordered pairs" mean?

"No of ordered pairs" refers to the number of sets of two numbers that can satisfy a given equation. In other words, it is the number of possible solutions to the equation.

How do you find the number of ordered pairs satisfying an equation?

The number of ordered pairs can be found by analyzing the equation and identifying any patterns or restrictions. Depending on the equation, it may also be helpful to graph the equation and count the number of intersection points.

Can an equation have an infinite number of ordered pairs?

Yes, some equations can have an infinite number of ordered pairs. For example, the equation y = x has an infinite number of solutions, as any value of x can be paired with a corresponding value of y.

What is the difference between an ordered pair and a solution to an equation?

An ordered pair is a set of two numbers, written in the form (x,y), that satisfies a given equation. A solution to an equation is a value or set of values that, when substituted into the equation, make it a true statement. So, a solution can be one or multiple ordered pairs.

Can an equation have no solutions?

Yes, it is possible for an equation to have no solutions. This means that there are no values that can be substituted into the equation to make it a true statement. In this case, the equation has no ordered pairs that satisfy it.