1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand how this equation calculates angle for hexagons

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    I don't understand how this equation calculates angle for hexagons....

Hi, I'm learning how to program and I've been studying graphics.

This quote from a programmer confuses me (the quote is a hyperlink to my source):
    How does 2pi/n calculate the angle of two vertices relative to the center of a hexagon? I try to plug in some values to test it and the resulting angle is 1.047 degrees which is extremely small and I think I'm misunderstanding the answer.

I have a diagram in my book that also states that the above equation is the angle. I also tested my code (the angle is only a small part of it) and my drawHexagon app works. However, when I do the math, the angle from the center of the hexagon is always 1.047 degrees and that doesn't make sense to me.

Shouldn't the central angle be 60 degrees given that a hexagon has 6 sides?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

The angles are being measured in radians.
    2pi radians=360 degrees.
    1.047 radians=60 degrees.

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    Thank you. I really need to brush up on my math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook