I dont understand how to calculate the speed in this problem ?

• Thread starter papi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving driving along a crowded freeway. The person notices that the time it takes to go one mile decreases by 13 seconds when their speed is increased by 5.0 miles per hour. They attempted to solve the problem using equations but were unsure about their answer. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and conversion of the answer from miles per second to miles per hour.
papi
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 5.0 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 13 s. What was your original speed?
(in mph)

I did R= 1/T
and R= 1/T-13 -5/3600

However, my answer didnt make any sense at all when i combined the 2 equations. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Make sure it's 1/(T-13). Also, from the way you wrote the equations, your speed R is in miles/second. Maybe that's why the result seems strange to you.

papi said:
Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 5.0 mi/h, the time to go one mile decreases by 13 s. What was your original speed?
(in mph)

I did R= 1/T
and R= 1/T-13 -5/3600

However, my answer didnt make any sense at all when i combined the 2 equations. please help

Those equations look right to me. What answer did you get for R and T?

Did you check if your numbers were consistent with the two equations?

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums!

p.p.s. Smallphi is giving good advice here.

I still dnt get it. I am really bad at physics :(
SO my answer was in miles/ sec opposed to miles/ hr?
i got -103.4651999 miles/ sec then
but how could it be neg, and if it is right, how do i convert it?

1. What is the formula for calculating speed?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance / time. This means that speed is equal to the distance traveled divided by the time it took to travel that distance.

2. What units should be used for speed?

Speed is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). However, you can also use other units such as miles per hour or feet per second.

3. How do I know which values to use for distance and time?

The values for distance and time should be given in the problem. Distance is typically measured in meters or kilometers, while time is usually given in seconds or hours. Make sure to use the correct units when plugging in the values to the speed formula.

4. What if I am given the speed in a different unit?

If the speed is given in a different unit, you can always convert it to the standard units of meters per second or kilometers per hour. You can use conversion factors or online conversion tools to make the conversion.

5. Can speed be negative?

Yes, speed can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. For example, if an object is moving east with a speed of 5 m/s and then changes direction to west with a speed of -5 m/s, it would still have a speed of 5 m/s but in the opposite direction.