I don't understand this idea about torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of torque on a spinning gyroscope and whether it can be moved around in space without affecting the system. It is noted that applying a torque along the A-B axis will result in a slight change in angular momentum, but the more significant effect is a change in the direction of the spinning gyroscope's angular momentum. To conserve total angular momentum, there may be an increase in the system's angular momentum in the +z direction. The conversation also mentions that in these types of problems, assuming the gyro to be spinning rapidly can lead to a small change in direction resulting in a large change in angular momentum.
Clara Chung
7.png

First, not related to this figure, if there is a total torque T acting on a body, can I move this vector around the space by translation? Will I affect the system?Second, I don’t understand why can’t there be torque along the A-B axis. For example, if I apply a force to flip the gyroscope, the gyroscope will definitely turn around and there will be an increase of angular momentum along the A-B axis.Thank you.

The full example is attached if it is helpful.

Attachments

• 7.png
    7.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 716
  • 9.png
    9.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
If you apply a torque so that the system rotates about the A-B axis, you do change by a very slight amount the angular momentum about the A-B axis. That portion of angular momentum is for the most part ignored in this analysis. The more important effect is that you will change the direction of the angular momentum of the spinning gyroscope. The change in the angular momentum of the spinning gyro could very well point downward, i.e. ## \Delta \vec{L}= \vec{L}_2-\vec{L}_1 ##, from the spinning gyro, can readily occur in the minus z direction, if you push downward on the near side of the frame that holds the gyro. ## \\ ## Since you did not apply any torque in the z direction, total z angular momentum needs to be conserved, and there will be an increase in the angular momentum of the system in the +z-direction to offset this. Basically there will be an increase in ## \Omega ##. Otherwise you would need to apply a torque in the minus z-direction to prevent this increase in ## \Omega ##. ## \\ ## Additional note: In these gyroscope problems, you can often assume the gyro to be spinning quite rapidly, so that ## \vec{L}_1 ## and ## \vec{L}_2 ## are quite large and of equal amplitude. A small change in direction from ## \vec{L}_1 ## to ## \vec{L}_2 ## can result in a very large ## \Delta \vec{L} ##, whose direction can be readily computed.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically represented by the symbol "τ" and is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque different from force?

Force is a push or pull on an object, while torque is a twisting force that causes an object to rotate. Force is measured in units of newtons (N), while torque is measured in units of newton-meters (N·m).

3. What factors affect torque?

The amount of torque produced depends on the magnitude of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. The direction of the force also affects the direction of the torque.

4. How is torque used in real life?

Torque is used in many everyday applications, such as opening a door, turning a steering wheel, or using a wrench to loosen a bolt. It is also important in the functioning of machines, such as engines, motors, and pumps.

5. What is the relationship between torque and angular acceleration?

Torque is directly proportional to the angular acceleration of an object. This means that the greater the torque applied to an object, the faster it will rotate. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, τ = Iα, where τ is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.