I don't understand this step in the proof about L infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that L_{\infty} is complete. One of the steps involves showing that ||f_n - f||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0, which is achieved by choosing a subset A in E such that f_n is "uniformly cauchy" on E\A and taking the union of all such As. The proof then makes a leap by stating that \sup_{x \in E-A} |f_n -f| \rightarrow 0 as n --> infinity, but the speaker is unsure of where this inequality came from. They speculate that it may be related to the esssup and express a need for clarification before their upcoming test.
futurebird
I'm learning the proof that [tex]L_{\infty}[/tex] is complete. I do not understand one of the steps.

Let [tex]f_n[/tex] be a cauchy sequence in [tex]L_{\infty}(E)[/tex] then there exists a subset A in E such that [tex]f_n[/tex] is "uniformly cauchy" on E\A. For m,n choose A so that

[tex]|f_n-f_m| \leq ||f_m - f_n||_{\infty}[/tex] for all x in E\A. Take the union of all such As and then [tex]f_n[/tex] converges uniformly on E without the As.

Define f to be [tex]f(x) = \mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)[/tex] for x in E without the As, and let it be o otherwise. F is bounded and measurable now all we need is to show that [tex]||f_n - f||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex] so we know f is in [tex]L_{\infty}[/tex]. We know [tex]m(As)=0[/tex]

This next bit is where the proof makes a leap that I don't understand.

[tex]||f_n - f||_{\infty} \leq \sup_{x \in E-A} |f_n -f|[/tex]

Then is says as n --> infinity we have [tex]\sup_{x \in E-A} |f_n -f| \rightarrow 0[/tex]. But, I have no idea where that inequality came from? What theorem? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
*a little bump*

I know it's not a simple proof I'll see what my prof. says in office hours. But, hmmm maybe it has something to do with the l infinity norm being the esssup?

I'm still not used to the esssup and I have a test in 4 days...

1. What is L infinity and why is it important in mathematics?

L infinity is a mathematical concept that refers to the space of all bounded functions. It is important in mathematics because it allows us to work with functions that may not have finite values, but are still well-defined and useful in various applications.

2. What is a proof and why is it necessary in understanding L infinity?

A proof is a logical argument that demonstrates the truth or validity of a statement. In the context of mathematics, a proof is necessary in understanding L infinity because it allows us to rigorously establish the properties and characteristics of this mathematical concept, ensuring that our understanding is accurate and complete.

3. What does it mean to say that a step in a proof about L infinity is not understood?

When someone says they don't understand a step in a proof about L infinity, it means that they are having difficulty following the logic or reasoning behind that particular step. They may not see how the step connects to the rest of the proof or how it leads to the desired conclusion.

4. How can I better understand a step in a proof about L infinity?

There are a few strategies you can try to better understand a step in a proof about L infinity. First, you can break down the step into smaller, simpler parts and try to understand each part individually. You can also look for examples or counterexamples that illustrate the step and help you grasp its meaning. And finally, you can consult with other mathematicians or seek additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, for alternative explanations and perspectives.

5. What can I do if I still don't understand a step in a proof about L infinity?

If you have tried various strategies and still don't understand a step in a proof about L infinity, it may be helpful to take a step back and review the basic concepts and definitions related to L infinity. Sometimes, a lack of understanding of a particular step can be traced back to a gap in understanding of the underlying concepts. You can also seek help from a mentor or tutor who can provide personalized guidance and support in understanding the proof.