1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I don't understand this step in the proof about L infinity

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    I'm learning the proof that [tex]L_{\infty}[/tex] is complete. I do not understand one of the steps.

Let [tex]f_n[/tex] be a cauchy sequence in [tex]L_{\infty}(E)[/tex] then there exists a subset A in E such that [tex]f_n[/tex] is "uniformly cauchy" on E\A. For m,n choose A so that

[tex]|f_n-f_m| \leq ||f_m - f_n||_{\infty}[/tex] for all x in E\A. Take the union of all such As and then [tex]f_n[/tex] converges uniformly on E without the As.

Define f to be [tex]f(x) = \mathop{\lim}\limits_{n \to \infty} f_n(x)[/tex] for x in E without the As, and let it be o otherwise. F is bounded and measurable now all we need is to show that [tex]||f_n - f||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex] so we know f is in [tex]L_{\infty}[/tex]. We know [tex]m(As)=0[/tex]

This next bit is where the proof makes a leap that I don't understand.

[tex]||f_n - f||_{\infty} \leq \sup_{x \in E-A} |f_n -f|[/tex]

Then is says as n --> infinity we have [tex]\sup_{x \in E-A} |f_n -f| \rightarrow 0[/tex]. But, I have no idea where that inequality came from? What theorem? Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2
    *a little bump*

I know it's not a simple proof I'll see what my prof. says in office hours. But, hmmm maybe it has something to do with the l infinity norm being the esssup?

I'm still not used to the esssup and I have a test in 4 days...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook