• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Pointwise vs. uniform convergence

Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
I am trying determine wether ##f_n## converges pointwise or/and uniformly when ## f(x)=xe^{-x} ## for ##x \geq 0 ##.

Relevant equations
##f_n## converges pointwise if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = f(x) \ \ \ \ \ ## (1)
##f_n## converges uniformly if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = 0 \ \ \ \ \ ## (2)

The attempt
##f_n(x) = f(nx) =nxe^{-nx} ##

Pointwise? (1)
## f(x) = \ \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} nxe^{-nx} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{nx}{e^{nx}} = 0##

Uniformly? (2)
## 0 = \ \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || nxe^{-nx} - xe^{-x} || ##:

I am not sure how to continue from here and wether the last step was correct:
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || nxe^{-nx} - xe^{-x} || = 0 ##

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Please post the exact wording of the question. Do not post extra info in "Attempt". This makes it very confusing to Homework Helpers.

It appears to me that the pointwise limit of ##f_n## is the 0 function.

Now, you have to show that

$$\forall \epsilon > 0: \exists n_0: \forall n \geq n_0: \forall x: \left|\frac{e^{nx}}{nx}\right| < \epsilon$$

to find uniform convergence.

Last edited:
Rectifier
Gold Member
The exact wording of this question is in another language. Sorry, if you find my translation and formatting confusing. I have edited the OP and tried to make my point clearer.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
The exact wording of this question is in another language. Sorry, if you find my translation and formatting confusing. I have edited the OP and tried to make my point clearer.
Does it ask to determine whether the sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n## converge towards ##f## given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##?

If so, clearly the answer is no, since it converges to ##g = 0##, and limits are unique.

Likes nuuskur
Rectifier
Gold Member
Does it ask to determine whether the sequence of functions ##(f_n)_n## converge towards ##f## given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##?
This chapter is about sequence of functions but the notation is different. According to my book its ##S_nf(x) = f(nx) ## and sometimes just ##f_n(x)##. The question is to determine how (pointwise/uniform) it converges and not whether it does it.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
This chapter is about sequence of functions but the notation is different. According to my book its ##S_nf(x) = f(nx) ## and sometimes just ##f_n(x)##. The question is to determine how (pointwise/uniform) it converges and not whether it does it.
But where does the function ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## come from (see your OP)? Is this included in the problem? Or is your guess for the pointwise limit?

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier
Gold Member
But where does the function ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## come from (see your OP)? Is this included in the problem? Or is your guess for the pointwise limit?
Its in the problem. Let me try to reword the problem once again:
Examine if the sequence of funtions ##f_n(x)## when ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## converges pointwise for ## x \geq 0 ##. In case the sequence of functions does converge get the limit function and determine if the sequence converges uniformly.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Its in the problem. Let me try to reword the problem once again:
Examine if the funtion ##f(x) = xe^{-x}## converges pointwise for ## x \geq 0 ##. In case the sequence of functions does converge get the limit function and determine if the sequence converges uniformly.
That's my problem! WHAT sequence of functions? The problem does not seem to include that. It is meaningless to consider pointwise convergence of one particular function, unless they consider it as a constant sequence of that function, but then the problem is trivial so I think the problem is flawed.

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier
Gold Member
Sorry once again. I made an edit just a moment ago. You were quick to reply.

Secuence of funtions is definied as ## f_n(x) = f(nx) ## earlier in my book.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Sorry once again. I made an edit just a moment ago. You were quick to reply.

Secuence of funtions is definied as ## f_n(x) = f(nx) ## earlier in my book.
Okay, let us get this thing straight. I will formulate the problem as I understand it:

Let ##f: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}## be given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##. Define a sequence of functions ##(f_n: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R})_n## by letting ##f_n(x) = f(nx) = nxe^{-nx}##. Determine if ##f_n \to f## pointswise and/or uniformly.

Is this the correct problem?

Likes Rectifier
This doesn't explain the fact that the ##f_n## are not defined. It would make more sense to me to ask, whether ##f(x)## is uniformly continuous or not.

Likes Rectifier
I am confused. We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?

Likes Rectifier and Math_QED
Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I am confused. We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?
Indeed, this was what I was addressing in #4.

Rectifier
Gold Member
Okay, let us get this thing straight. I will formulate the problem as I understand it:

Let ##f: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}## be given by ##f(x) = xe^{-x}##. Define a sequence of functions ##(f_n: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R})_n## by letting ##f_n(x) = f(nx) = nxe^{-nx}##. Determine if ##f_n \to f## pointswise and/or uniformly.

Is this the correct problem?
Yes, I think so.

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Yes, I think so.
Okay. Then the problem is actually very easy. See post #4 and #12.

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier
Gold Member
If so, clearly the answer is no, since it converges to ##g = 0##, and limits are unique.
We'd attempt to show ##f_n(x)\xrightarrow[n\to\infty]{} 0, x\geq 0 ## (this does hold), why would we even further contemplate whether ##f_n ## converges to anything else (pointwise or uniformly) other than ##g(x) = 0\neq xe^{-x}, x\geq 0 ##?
What is ## g ## here? Is that f(x) in (1) ?

##f_n## converges pointwise if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} f_n(x) = f(x) \ \ \ \ \ ## (1)
##f_n## converges uniformly if ## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - f || = 0 \ \ \ \ \ ## (2)

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
What is ## g ## here? Is that f(x) in (1) ?
##g = 0## is shorthand notation for ##g: \mathbb{R}^+ \to \mathbb{R}: x \mapsto 0##

It is easy to see that this is the pointwise limit, since for any ##x## in the domain

##\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(x) = \lim_{n \to \infty} nxe^{-nx} = 0 = g(x)##

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier
Gold Member
And now I am somehow supposed to show that the function series does not cenverge uniformly by showing that
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - g || = \sup_{x \geq 0} | f_n - g | \neq 0 \ \ \ \ \ ##
So in other words, should I just insert ##g = 0## and ## f_n = nxe^{-nx}## since thats what we got earlier?

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
And now I am somehow supposed to show that the function series does not cenverge uniformly by showing that
## \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} || f_n - g || = \sup_{x \geq 0} | f_n - g | \neq 0 \ \ \ \ \ ##
So in other words, should I just insert ##g = 0## and ## f_n = nxe^{-nx}## since thats what we got earlier?
You are already done.

Indeed, it is true:

##f_n \to f## uniform ##\implies f_n \to f## pointwise

and by applying contraposition on this, we find that ##f## can't be a uniform limit of ##(f_n)_n##, because it isn't a pointwise limit.

Likes nuuskur and Rectifier