1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I found a really weird function

1. May 2, 2015 #1
    Hey all, so I don't even know how I managed to find this, So I'll walk you all through how I've spent my last couple hours.

I've been studying intro calculus, and I recently came across the chain rule. I was screwing around with finding the derivative of various functions like the square-root of 4x^2 + 4. I then took the derivative of square-root 4x^2 + 4 (I think that's the function I took, I screwed up somewhere, but oh well, it doesn't change the function that I found), and found it's derivative using the quotient rule, and after simplifying I was left with

(4/(sqrt(4x^2+4)) - (16x^2/sqrt(4x^2+4)^3/2)

You can find it on at this link: (It's a graphing calculator website), https://www.desmos.com/calculator/l68uv67zay

It looks remarkably similar to a normal distribution, and seems to exhibit some properties of a normal distribution, is it doing this for any particular reason?

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2015 #2
    Why don't you reduce it to a common denominator and also factor out √4 from within the radical? What are you left with then?

Chet

4. May 2, 2015 #3
    Give me a bit, i'll work on it. Thanks for your comment :D

5. May 4, 2015 #4

Svein

Science Advisor

6. May 9, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Your function can be simplified to$$(x^2+1)^{-\frac{3}{2}}$$
    Functions like this don't look completely different from a normal distribution on a linear plot, but they have a completely different shape in the tails.

7. May 15, 2015 #6
    Your function has second derivative ##f''(x)=\frac{-3x}{(x^2+1)^{5/2}}##, which is approximately equal to ##-3xf(x)## when ##x## is small.
    The function ##g(x)=e^{-\frac{3x^2}{2}}## has derivative ##-3xg(x)##, and furthermore ##f'(0)=g(0)=1##; so ##g## can be said to approximate ##f'## near ##0##. Coincidentally ##g## describes a normal PDF, so that explains why your function looks like a normal distribution. I would link a graph comparing the two (they are very close!) but I happen to be posting from my phone presently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook