I have a dumb question about gravitational fields

In summary, the gravitational force in a one-dimensional field is possible and is described by Newton's law of gravity, which only depends on the distance between two bodies and not their angles relative to each other. Another perspective is through the field equation of gravity, which shows that a point source generates a constant gravitational field in one dimension.
Dimwitted
Is a one-dimensional gravitational field possible? I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, what I mean is instead of pulling things into its center of gravity it pulls things in the same linear direction until it ejects it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps I'm not understanding the question you're asking, but the gravitational force does act one dimensionally!

Newtons law of gravity gives us:

## F = \frac{G M1 M2}{r^2} ##

It is only dependent on the distance the two bodies are from each other ##r##, not their angles relative to each other (which would introduce a ##\phi## and ##\theta## dependence).

Last edited:
Likes Danger and Nugatory
e.bar.goum said:
Perhaps I'm not understanding the question you're asking, but the gravitational force does act one dimensionally!

Newtons law of gravity gives us:

## F = \frac{G M1 M2}{r^2} ##

It is only dependent on the distance the two bodies are from each other ##r##, not their angles relative to each other (which would introduce a ##\phi## and ##\theta## dependence).

This is one way to look at it.

Another way is from the field equation point of view of gravity, a la Gauss' law
[tex] \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{G} = - 4 \pi \rho [/tex]

In one dimension, from this equation a point source simply generates a constant gravitational field (does not vary with distance from the point mass).

1. What is a gravitational field?

A gravitational field is a region in space where the force of gravity is present. It is created by massive objects, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, and it affects the motion and behavior of other objects within its range.

2. How is the strength of a gravitational field measured?

The strength of a gravitational field is measured by its gravitational acceleration, which is the rate at which an object falls towards the center of the field. This can be calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the object creating the field, and r is the distance from the center of the field.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational field?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational field will be. This means that objects with larger masses, such as planets or stars, will have a stronger gravitational pull compared to smaller objects, like asteroids or comets.

4. Can gravitational fields be shielded or blocked?

No, gravitational fields cannot be shielded or blocked. Unlike other forces, such as electromagnetism, there is no known way to prevent the effects of gravity. Even large objects, like planets, cannot completely block the gravitational pull of another massive object.

5. How does distance affect gravitational fields?

The strength of a gravitational field decreases as the distance from the object creating the field increases. This means that the force of gravity becomes weaker the farther away an object is from the source. This is why the moon, which is further from Earth, experiences a weaker gravitational pull compared to objects on Earth's surface.