1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a dumb question about gravitational fields

1. Nov 18, 2014 #1
    Is a one-dimensional gravitational field possible? I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology, what I mean is instead of pulling things into its center of gravity it pulls things in the same linear direction until it ejects it out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2014 #2

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Perhaps I'm not understanding the question you're asking, but the gravitational force does act one dimensionally!

Newtons law of gravity gives us:

## F = \frac{G M1 M2}{r^2} ##

It is only dependent on the distance the two bodies are from each other ##r##, not their angles relative to each other (which would introduce a ##\phi## and ##\theta## dependence).

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  4. Nov 18, 2014 #3

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

This is one way to look at it.

Another way is from the field equation point of view of gravity, a la Gauss' law
    [tex] \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{G} = - 4 \pi \rho [/tex]

In one dimension, from this equation a point source simply generates a constant gravitational field (does not vary with distance from the point mass).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook