1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have a few problems dealing with work and kinetic energy

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. A 0.267 kg ball is thrown straight up from 1.81 m above the ground. Its initial vertical speed is 8.00 m/s. A short time later, it hits the ground. Calculate the total work done by the force of gravity during that time.

I know that I will probably need to use the PEg=KE formula, but I am very lost as to how to set this problem up and any help would be appreciated.

__
    2.A car (m = 600.0 kg) accelerates uniformly from rest up an inclined road which rises uniformly, to a height, h = 33.0 m. Find the average power the engine must deliver to reach a speed of 20.5 m/s at the top of the hill in 18.3 s(NEGLECT frictional losses: air and rolling, ...)

W=KEf-KEi

W=1/2mv^2-1/2mv^2
    W=1/2(600)(205)-0
    mgh=600(9.8)(33)
    W=6150+194040
    W=200190/18.3
    W=10939.34
    I feel like I'm very close to solving this problem but something didn't turn out right..

____

3. A 96.0 kg diver falls from rest into a swimming pool from a height of 3.70 m. It takes 1.54 s for the diver to stop after entering the water. Find the magnitude of the average force exerted on the diver during that time.

I am pretty sure I should start out with PEg=KE but am not sure where to go from there.

Help on any of these problems would be VERY MUCH appreciated! Thanks guys and this seems like a great physics forum.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2
    1) This problem is relatively easy if you use W=F(d). Find the displacement of the ball using basic kinematics. Remember your signs!

3) There are several ways of doing this problem, but I would recommend that you look at it conceptually i.e gravity exerts a constant force of mg on the diver on his downard path, while after he is in the water... the water exerts a force that brings him from Vo(the velocity at which he enters the water) to Vf(rest) in the time given... Now find the avg force exerted

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    Thanks, I got the 3rd one right now! 1st I don't really understand how I can find the F for W=Fd. I could figure it out if they gave me time but they didn't..so how can I go about finding the F?

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4
    The question asks about the gravitational force. F = the gravitational force =....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?