Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I have agreed to the Terms and Conditions

1. Almost always

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  2. Half of the time

4 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Only occasionally

14 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. Never. I breach contracts daily.

31 vote(s)
    62.0%
  1. Dec 21, 2011 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

"I have agreed to the Terms and Conditions..."

Peng here.

As I installed Adobe Flash update #15,203,203 and clicked the usual "blahb lah blah terms and crap, don't use Flash to create a nuclear weapon or biological warfare please or we'll sue you", I started wondering how often people ever actually read these things. So here's the poll of the night:

How often do you read the terms and conditions, offline and online, for software, forums, real world products and contracts?

DISCUSS!!!!!!

Rawr.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2
    Re: "I have agreed to the Terms and Conditions..."

Never. I breach contracts daily. :uhh:

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I read the fine print on web development software we were giving clients, it actually stated that use of the software could cause death. Didn't say why. I always had fun pointing that out to the people I was giving it to.

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

1 vote in 30 minutes? PF, I am disappoint.

6. Dec 21, 2011 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Sorry, I forgot to vote.

7. Dec 21, 2011 #6

I'm kind of confused as to why not reading it would mean I breached a contract? Certainly I can agree to a contract without reading it, but still not violate it?

From the iTunes EULA: "You also agree that you will not use these products for any purposes prohibited by United States law, including, without limitation, the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."

8. Dec 21, 2011 #7

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It was for funnies. I R PF HUMOR GENERATOR

9. Dec 22, 2011 #8

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl:
    That says most of PFers never read terms and conditions!

10. Dec 22, 2011 #9

I voted for the first option, whatever it was.

11. Dec 22, 2011 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does "just once in my lifetime, and then only about 1/10 of it" count as "occasionally"?

12. Dec 22, 2011 #11

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do the terms and conditions require that you read the terms and conditions in order to use their product? I wouldn't have any idea since I never read them but it seems like a possibility

13. Dec 22, 2011 #12

I did when I first got a computer. Then I just started skimming. Then I realized that I'll be using the product I paid money fro no matter what the damn thing said and started ignoring them.

I think I annoyed the last people I rented from though when I actually took the time to read through the paper work that they asked me to read through before signing it.

14. Dec 22, 2011 #13

rhody

Gold Member

Having a little holiday cheer Pengy ? On a serious note, Adobe Flash is one of those apps that hackers target to get at your computer. For me, if it ain't broke and isn't causing a problemo, I don't install updates for Flash, period. I know there is supposed to be a trusted certificate and all that, but I have had weird things happen after installing Flash, so it is not just a terms and conditions thing with me, more like a trust thing and will this update bring my PC or laptop to its knees. Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Rhody...

15. Dec 22, 2011 #14

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well of course. The weaponizable version of iTunes is iTar restricted.

Those EULAs and computer industry warnings can be downright fiendish. At one point in Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett's novel Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, Crowley the demon sends a computer warranty down Below to the department that draws up Immortal Soul agreements with a yellow sticky attached that said "Learn, guys".

See the footnote at the bottom of the page in this google books extract: http://books.google.com/books?id=FsN0mxNThYIC&pg=PA227&#v=onepage&q&f=false.

16. Dec 22, 2011 #15

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

faust_20.png

17. Dec 22, 2011 #16

rhody

Gold Member

D H,

Sorry, that hit a nerve. iTunes has caused me so many problems with my iTouch, it might as well be weaponized. A sad commentary...

Rhody... :yuck:

Edit: P.S. on second thought, iTunes should be ITAR unrestricted, our enemies should be subject to the same problems if not more of them that I have had, hehe...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  18. Dec 22, 2011 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I do, except when it's software from a big company. Then I'll trust that I have security in numbers :smile: When I enter some kind of online contest I always read the fine print. Just to make sure that I'm not accepting to do work for the prize :wink: I've never won a thing, but other people tell me they often win prizes..

19. Dec 22, 2011 #18

I wouldn't know if I were breaching any contracts because I never read the terms and conditions..

20. Dec 22, 2011 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh yes, there certainly are things like that where I do read the fine print! I didn't think about that. Reminds me of when I was younger and my parents bought some raffle tickets from a church raffle. Apparently the raffle came and if I recall, another of my family members attended the actual raffle drawing, knew what my parent's raffle number was, and heard it called.

Of course, the fine print stated you had to be in attendance to win :)

21. Dec 22, 2011 #20

cmb

You missed out the option I usually undertake - I make a copy of the T&C but don't read it. (Maybe a cursory scan to check I am not selling my soul.)

Thing is, the more small-print there is in T&Cs, the more they are making trouble for themselves because they always seem to generate ambiguities which you can use later on if you have troubles.

I think much of it is very wrong. One website in the UK, the National Lottery website, has T&C which are 36,000 words long. (I know because I have kept copies! :) ). But worse still - they often say 'we have changed our terms and conditions' once every few months or so, but don't summarise the changes.

I regard such behaviour as a flat-out unfair contract term. It is self-evident they don't actually want people to read their 36,000 word (and increasing!!!) T&C every month.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook