1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I just don't know what to study or major in

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    I'm a liberal arts major, and I can see that going no where fast. I love math and science, though I only have very basic knowledge of each. I grew up poor, and went to one of the lowest ranked school districts in my state so I wasn't really exposed to any of it.

I always thought I hated school but now I know it's bc the classrooms were like conflict zones with disruptive students and screaming teachers slamming things around. I've been an excellent student in college and enjoy studying.

When I realized I needed a new major, I incorrectly thought I would just get a masters in a stem major. Unfortunately I won't meet any pre reqs bc I took math and science for liberal arts.

I'm planning on starting over and taking the challenging stem classes I missed, but I still don't have a clear path of what to study or work towards.

Would engineering give me a strong base to do whatever I want after?

The three things I really want -
    is a needed professional career with excellent opportunity (little competition, job security)
    To start working in the next few years then continue my education as I work
    I'm on the design and planning side. I have ADD and procedural / rote memory tasks have a severe negative effect on my mental health.

Thank you for any replies, I really appreciate any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2
    Engineering offers an extremely wide array of career opportunities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook