Specific Impulse - I just don't get it.

In summary, a Fission-fragment rocket engine has a specific impulse of 1,000,000 seconds and has some significant practical problems that need to be fixed in order for it to be viable. Dusty plasma engines have the same impulse without the problem of having to keep a wire cool, but they also require the price of 242Americium being cheaper than $1500 a gram. Both of these depend on the availability of 242Americium.
StrayCatalyst
I'm working on a hard sci fi story, so I'm trying to get the technical details right - but I don't actually have a background in space travel, astrophysics, orbital mechanics, etc, so I'm running up against my own ignorance. I've Googled it, read the wiki, read NASA's site, and I'm still clueless.

A Fission-fragment rocket engine has a specific impulse (estimated) of 1,000,000 seconds. There are some significant practical problems (like feeding wire through the reaction chamber at 1km/s to allow it to react without simply vaporizing from the heat). The wire in question might be replaced with CNT or similar, which might allow the wire to remain within the reaction chamber for longer without melting - the papers I've read predated CNTs by a few years.

Dusty plasma engines appear to have the same impulse, without the problem of having to keep a wire cooler than melting temp while inside the reaction chamber.

Both of these depend on the price of 242Americium being cheaper than $1500 a gram in order to be viable, but that's not my question.

So, given a specific impulse of 1,000,000 seconds on a ship of 50 tons weight, what sort of thrust could this engine produce, for how much fuel consumed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
StrayCatalyst said:
I'm working on a hard sci fi story, so I'm trying to get the technical details right - but I don't actually have a background in space travel, astrophysics, orbital mechanics, etc, so I'm running up against my own ignorance. I've Googled it, read the wiki, read NASA's site, and I'm still clueless.

A Fission-fragment rocket engine has a specific impulse (estimated) of 1,000,000 seconds. There are some significant practical problems (like feeding wire through the reaction chamber at 1km/s to allow it to react without simply vaporizing from the heat). The wire in question might be replaced with CNT or similar, which might allow the wire to remain within the reaction chamber for longer without melting - the papers I've read predated CNTs by a few years.

Dusty plasma engines appear to have the same impulse, without the problem of having to keep a wire cooler than melting temp while inside the reaction chamber.

Both of these depend on the price of 242Americium being cheaper than $1500 a gram in order to be viable, but that's not my question.

So, given a specific impulse of 1,000,000 seconds on a ship of 50 tons weight, what sort of thrust could this engine produce, for how much fuel consumed?
Thrust is proportional to specific impluse (Isp) and mass flow rate ([itex]\dot{m}[/itex]). There is a conversion factor involved in the product to get the actual thrust.

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/specimp.html

The higher the Isp, the lower the mass flowrate for a given thrust. But Isp requires energy/power.

BTW - this is an aerospace engineering matter and not so much astrophysics.

Thank you for moving this to the correct part of the forum, I'll take a look at the link and see if that clears things up.

1. What is specific impulse?

Specific impulse is a measure of the efficiency of a rocket engine. It represents the amount of thrust produced by a rocket engine per unit of propellant consumed.

2. How is specific impulse calculated?

Specific impulse is calculated by dividing the thrust produced by the rocket engine by the mass flow rate of the propellant.

3. Why is specific impulse important?

Specific impulse is important because it determines how much thrust a rocket engine can produce and how long it can sustain that thrust. It also impacts the amount of propellant needed for a mission, which affects the cost and feasibility of a space mission.

4. How does specific impulse differ from thrust?

Thrust is a measure of the force produced by a rocket engine, while specific impulse takes into account the amount of propellant used to produce that thrust. Therefore, two rocket engines with the same thrust can have different specific impulses if they use different amounts of propellant.

5. What units is specific impulse measured in?

Specific impulse is typically measured in seconds (s) or meters per second (m/s). Some sources may also use specific impulse units of pounds-force per pound-mass (lbf/lbm) or newtons per kilogram (N/kg).