I know ##tan 2\theta## but what is ##sin \theta##

• Thread starter ElectronicTeaCup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theta
In summary, it seems that we need to use the double angle formulas for sin and cos to solve for these values.
ElectronicTeaCup
Homework Statement
\begin{array}{l}
\tan 2 \theta=-\frac{4}{3} \\
\text {Find } \\
\text { a) } \cos \theta \\
\text { b) } \sin \theta
\end{array}
Relevant Equations
N/A. Answer is needed as a fraction.
So I get that:
$$
\sin 2 \theta=-\frac{4}{5}
$$
$$
\cos 2 \theta=-\frac{3}{5}
$$

But what is the next step?
We find that ##\cos 2 \theta=-3 / 5,## the minus entering because ##2 \theta## is a second quadrant angle. Then ##\sin \theta=2 / \sqrt{5}## and ##\cos \theta=1 / \sqrt{5} .##

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question here ?

Are there constraints on the domain of ##\theta##? Without any such information, you can only go as far as to say ##\sin{2\theta} = \pm \frac{4}{5}## and ##\cos{2\theta} = \mp \frac{3}{5}##.

ElectronicTeaCup said:
Relevant Equations:: N/A
I disagree
So I get that:
typo ? (minus sign too many)

Likes FactChecker
Thank you for your replies. It seems that in trying to post only the relevant parts of the question, I am missing possibly essential information (that I am not picking up myself).

The question in its entirety is:

Reduce to standard form and graph the curve whose equation is ##x^{2}+4 x y+4 y^{2}+12 x-6 y=0##

Relevant equations:

For the form ##A x^{2}+B x y+C y^{2}+D x+E y+F=0## I need to carry out a rotation to remove the xy term using ##\tan 2 \theta=\frac{B}{A-C}## (see specifics in spoiler below). In doing so I am having difficulty in determining the value of ##\sin \theta## and ##\cos \theta##

1597692164405.png

1597692220300.png

It appears that I needed to use
$$
\begin{array}{l}
\cos ^{2}(\theta)=\frac{1+\cos (2 \theta)}{2} \\
\sin ^{2}(\theta)=\frac{1-\cos (2 \theta)}{2}
\end{array}
$$
To get the values of cos and sin in the solution. I was not familiar with this formula :nb).

Glad to find you agree with me that
ElectronicTeaCup said:
Relevant Equations:: N/A
does not cut the cake.

By the way, I only know the double angle formulas for ##\sin## and ##\cos## by heart. The others I derive on the go, when needed.

Likes chwala, ElectronicTeaCup and (deleted member)
BvU said:
Glad to find you agree with me that
does not cut the cake.

By the way, I only know the double angle formulas for ##\sin## and ##\cos## by heart. The others I derive on the go, when needed.

Yes, thank you for letting me know. I had issues with a previous thread where I did not give enough information (where I thought I had).

Also, since you mention it, I do have a lot of difficulty with identities. I just went back through my notes and realized that I had derived this formula. When I solve trig questions, I have a habit of going through a list of identities to find where my problem "fits in" and use what works—but I would prefer to gain the skill and intuition to derive when needed. I've done some trig courses over and over, first from khan academy and one more recently from Lang's basic mathematics. But then it went untouched for about ~6 months until I came upon this question in Calculus. What is a good way of getting to know certain formulas better? I have this constant issue where I understand and derive certain things within the context and then totally forget the derivation at a later point. And must I put in the effort to remember everything that I derive? (Sorry this has turned into a barrage of questions) What is a good way to retain things like this?

ElectronicTeaCup said:
Homework Statement:: \begin{array}{l}
\tan 2 \theta=-\frac{4}{3} \\
\text {Find } \\
\text { a) } \cos \theta \\
\text { b) } \sin \theta
\end{array}
Relevant Equations:: N/A. Answer is needed as a fraction.

So I get that:
$$
\sin 2 \theta=-\frac{4}{5}
$$
$$
\cos 2 \theta=-\frac{3}{5}
$$

But what is the next step?
We find that ##\cos 2 \theta=-3 / 5,## the minus entering because ##2 \theta## is a second quadrant angle. Then ##\sin \theta=2 / \sqrt{5}## and ##\cos \theta=1 / \sqrt{5} .##
Just asking are we not supossed to have ± here→...##\cos \theta=± \dfrac {1}{\sqrt {5}} ##
...from ##2cos^2∅##=##\dfrac {-3+5}{5}##...

1. What is the relationship between tan(2θ) and sin(θ)?

The relationship between tan(2θ) and sin(θ) can be found using the double angle formula for tangent: tan(2θ) = 2tan(θ) / (1-tan^2(θ)). By rearranging this formula, we can solve for sin(θ) and get sin(θ) = 2tan(θ) / (1+tan^2(θ)). Therefore, knowing tan(2θ) allows us to find sin(θ).

2. How can I find sin(θ) if I only know tan(2θ)?

As mentioned in the previous answer, we can use the double angle formula for tangent to find sin(θ) if we only know tan(2θ). Simply rearrange the formula and plug in the value for tan(2θ) to solve for sin(θ).

3. Can I use a calculator to find sin(θ) if I know tan(2θ)?

Yes, most scientific calculators have the double angle formula programmed in, so you can enter the value for tan(2θ) and use the appropriate function to find sin(θ).

4. Why is it important to know the relationship between tan(2θ) and sin(θ)?

Understanding the relationship between these two trigonometric functions is important in solving various mathematical and scientific problems. It allows us to convert between the two functions and use them interchangeably in calculations.

5. Are there any other trigonometric identities that involve tan(2θ) and sin(θ)?

Yes, there are several other identities that involve tan(2θ) and sin(θ), such as the half angle formulas for sine and cosine. These identities are useful in simplifying trigonometric expressions and solving equations involving these functions.