Using Euler's Formula to write a fraction in another form

In summary, in trying to convert from equations to trig functions, @suremarc got the numerator and denominator wrong. He also tried to convert them back to equations, but that didn't work either.
WhiteWolf98
Homework Statement
I'm trying to get from the top fraction to the bottom fraction:
$$u-iv=U_{\infty}\frac{e^{-i\alpha}-e^{i\alpha -2i\theta}+2i\sin(\alpha)e^{-i\theta}}{1-e^{-2i\theta}}$$
$$=U_{\infty}\left[\cos(\alpha)+\sin(\alpha)\frac{1-\cos(\theta)}{\sin(\theta)}\right]$$
Relevant Equations
$$e^{i\theta}=\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)$$
$$e^{-i\theta}=\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)$$
$$e^{2i\theta}=\frac{e^{i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}}=\frac{\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)}$$
Greetings.

I'm having a bit of difficulty with getting from the first to the second equation. I know some basic identities, but it all just feels like a mess. My approach was just going to be to write whatever I could, but some of the terms are confusing me.

$$e^{i\alpha-2i\theta}=\frac{e^{i\alpha}}{e^{2i\theta}}=e^{i\alpha}\div\left(\frac{e^{i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}}\right)=\cos(\alpha)+i\sin(\alpha)\div\left(\frac{\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)}\right)=\frac{(\cos(\alpha)+i\sin(\alpha))(\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta))}{\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}$$

$$e^{-2i\theta}=\frac{1}{e^{2i\theta}}=\frac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{i\theta}}=\frac{\cos(\theta)-i\sin(\theta)}{\cos(\theta)+i\sin(\theta)}$$

Is this correct...? I think I could probably try again from here. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying the numerator and denominator by ##e^{i\theta}## removes ##2\theta## from the equation, which makes converting to the bottom fraction easier. Alternatively, you could expand the exponential terms using Euler’s formula, then use double-angle identities to simplify.

Also, the two equations you gave don’t appear to be equivalent. Is this from a homework problem? When reducing the top equation I got something different from the bottom one.

Edit: ignore the second paragraph, I dropped a minus sign o_O

Last edited:
Likes WhiteWolf98
As @suremarc writes, first step is to multiply top and bottom by ##e^{i\theta}##.
Next is to spot that two terms at the top collapse to something involving ##\sin(\theta-\alpha)##.

Likes WhiteWolf98
Hello. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I tried again following your advice, and I couldn't eliminate ##2θ##. This is what I ended up with:
$$=U_{\infty}\frac{e^{i\theta+i\alpha}-e^{i\alpha-i\theta}+2\sin(\alpha)i}{e^{2i\theta}}$$

Well actually, this was one way of writing it. The other way was:
$$=U_{\infty}\frac{e^{i\theta+i\alpha}-e^{i\alpha}\cdot+\frac{1}{e^{i\theta}}2\sin(\alpha)i}{e^{2i\theta}}$$

I don't think I'm correct... and also, am I supposed to be writing each ##e## so it's on its own? If I can separate out each ##e##, then I can write it out in terms of ##\sin## and ##\cos##

WhiteWolf98 said:
Hello. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I tried again following your advice, and I couldn't eliminate ##2θ##. This is what I ended up with:
$$=U_{\infty}\frac{e^{i\theta+i\alpha}-e^{i\alpha-i\theta}+2\sin(\alpha)i}{e^{2i\theta}}$$
How did you get that denominator?

What do you get when you multiply ##\displaystyle (1-e^{-2i\theta} ) \cdot e^{i\theta} ## ?

Likes WhiteWolf98
WhiteWolf98 said:
As @SammyS notes, your denominator is quite wrong, but also have a mistake in the numerator. In the original there was an ##e^{-i\alpha}## which seems to have turned into an ##e^{+i\alpha}##.

Likes WhiteWolf98
SammyS said:
How did you get that denominator?

What do you get when you multiply ##\displaystyle (1-e^{-2i\theta} ) \cdot e^{i\theta} ## ?
I'll try write out how I got it as soon as I can. For now, when multiplying that out, I get ##e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}##

haruspex said:
As @SammyS notes, your denominator is quite wrong, but also have a mistake in the numerator. In the original there was an ##e^{-i\alpha}## which seems to have turned into an ##e^{+i\alpha}##.

Ah, that is a mistake on my part. Though I don't suppose ##e^{i\theta-i\alpha}## would make it correct

WhiteWolf98 said:
I'll try write out how I got it as soon as I can. For now, when multiplying that out, I get ##e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}##
Ah, that is a mistake on my part. Though I don't suppose ##e^{i\theta-i\alpha}## would make it correct
What's a way of writing ##e^{ix}-e^{-ix}## with trig functions?
Can you see how to get the ##e^{i\theta-i\alpha}## and the one like it into the same form?

Likes WhiteWolf98
This is just not making any sense, sorry. I'll put all the steps I've done below.
1611446139273.png

I feel like I'm just going in circles. And then for:
haruspex said:
What's a way of writing ##e^{ix}-e^{-ix}## with trig functions?
Can you see how to get the ##e^{i\theta-i\alpha}## and the one like it into the same form?
Depending on which way I do it, I get different answers... which is weird! I don't get it.
1611452895006.png

Yeah, I don't know anymore, nothing is working

WhiteWolf98 said:
This is just not making any sense, sorry. I'll put all the steps I've done below.
In your first block above, I do not understand how in the denominator you convert ##e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}## to ##e^{2i\theta}##.
In your attempt to convert it to a trig function instead, second block, both attempts are correct. The final forms you have are equivalent, but using 2 sin x cos x = sin(2x) in the second attempt was not helpful. Use the result from the first attempt to replace ##e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}## in the denominator.

The first two terms in the numerator form a pair of exactly the same pattern. Can you see that? So you can use the corresponding trig substitution.

Likes WhiteWolf98
haruspex said:
In your first block above, I do not understand how in the denominator you convert ##e^{i\theta}-e^{-i\theta}## to ##e^{2i\theta}##.
Ohh, I see it, I see it. What a silly mistake, I can't just add them. Alright, I'll give it another go. Thank you

Okay, I think I was able to do it. For the sake of completion, I'll put the rest of my solution here.

1611531683002.png

I realize the substitution probably wasn't necessary, but I found it easier to do thinking about it that way.

Thank you very much everyone for all your help :)

Likes suremarc
WhiteWolf98 said:
Okay, I think I was able to do it. For the sake of completion, I'll put the rest of my solution here.

View attachment 276798

I realize the substitution probably wasn't necessary, but I found it easier to do thinking about it that way.

Thank you very much everyone for all your help :)
Well done

Likes WhiteWolf98

What is Euler's Formula?

Euler's Formula is a mathematical equation that relates the values of trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) to the complex exponential function. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is the angle in radians.

How can Euler's Formula be used to write a fraction in another form?

Euler's Formula can be used to write a fraction in another form by converting the fraction into a complex exponential form and then using the properties of Euler's Formula to simplify it. This can be particularly useful in solving complex mathematical problems involving fractions.

What are the benefits of using Euler's Formula to write a fraction in another form?

Using Euler's Formula to write a fraction in another form can make complex mathematical problems easier to solve. It can also help in visualizing and understanding the relationship between different mathematical concepts.

Are there any limitations to using Euler's Formula to write a fraction in another form?

While Euler's Formula can be a powerful tool in solving mathematical problems, it may not always be the most efficient method. In some cases, using other mathematical techniques may be more appropriate or yield more accurate results.

Can Euler's Formula be used for any type of fraction?

Yes, Euler's Formula can be used for any type of fraction, including fractions with complex numbers. However, the process of converting the fraction into a complex exponential form may be more complicated for certain types of fractions.