I love math but I'm not that smart. I don't know what to do

  • Thread starter Thread starter samh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Love
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 50K views
complexPHILOSOPHY said:
Unfortunately, though, it seems that some intelligent people are entrapt into believing that they must have a certain IQ to be successful in their particular field, which I think can discourage some people.

Someone in this thread mentioned Feynman's IQ being somewhere around 125 and we all know how much of a retarded idiot that guy was!

Down with psychometric testing! :P

No offence, but we didn't learn anything new. Everything you said has been repeated a billion times, and lots of PF members are careless about IQ scores.

The reason IQ scores are brought up is because it is a measure of something, and that something we can compare. That's it. Just like comparing math test scores with other students. It's just to compare and give us a ball park answer at who is better at math.

That's all.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
No offence, but we didn't learn anything new. Everything you said has been repeated a billion times, and lots of PF members are careless about IQ scores.

No offence was taken, I just didn't realize that I have to be teaching you something new, in order to post. I was just having a casual conversation with tehno, which I apologize for homie! I will be cognizant of that in the future. I am coming from a less regulated forum to here, so I honestly do apologize for not realizing the rigid posting rules.

The reason IQ scores are brought up is because it is a measure of something, and that something we can compare. That's it.

Yes, however, in reference specifically to psychometric testing, correlation != causation and I have not been presented with strong empirical evidence suggesting any relationships between one's intelligence and their intelligence quotient, especially considering the cognitive approach. It's not as if I made the claim completely unsupported but if you require more 'evidence' or what I perceive to be 'evidence' opposing this relationship, I will present it. I am not suggesting that my perspective is necessarily correct, however, I see no reason why my opinion isn't valid.

Just like comparing math test scores with other students. It's just to compare and give us a ball park answer at who is better at math.

Did you mean that math scores approximate who is better at math, or that IQ tests approximate who is better at math?
 
Last edited:
americanforest said:
*Can anybody tell me if this site is the real deal or just some crap as far as authentic IQ testing goes, just out of curiosity?

Anything you find on the web will likely be just a teaser really, they're there to draw you in and to see if you should bother pursuing it. A proper IQ test that gave an accurate measure will be much better controlled - i.e. on-site. But those tests online are, no doubt about that.


On the eCMA I got 120. I would have gotten higher in a more controlled setting. I did it again and got 144. Only some of that increase is due to similar questions. Much of it is due to understanding the instructions better. This kind of error would be eliminated in a controlled test.

Then I did the TA3 (their "hardest" test) and scored 132.
 
Last edited:
If you're concerned with monetary considerations I would remain in CS because it's more marketable and there are more jobs than in mathematics. But don't let the fact that you are not "good in math" keep you from taking math courses as a minor. Mathematics actually becomes easier as you get more mature in the subject, and keep seeing the same constructs repeatedly.