I need a fluid mechanics textbook

In summary, a sophomore majoring in Astronomy has finished Hassani's book on Mathematical Physics and learned Real variable function and functional analysis. They are looking to buy a textbook that takes full advantage of Tensor Analysis and other recent mathematical advancements. Their teacher recommended Landau's book but they are concerned it may be outdated. They are specifically interested in a textbook that is useful for Astronomy. They have also mentioned the possibility of using a book commonly used by universities.
LiD
Hello, everyone, please forgive me for my poor English.
I'm a sophomore, major in Astronomy. I've finished Hassani's book(Mathematical Physics). And I've learned Real variable function and functional analysis (I do not know what exact name of this course)
I'd like to buy a textbook with following virtues.
1 It take full advantage of Tensor Analysis and so on, enabling me to know how powerful the mathematicians are. My teacher said Landau's book is too old to employ the achievements contributed by the mathematicians in recent years.(But he do not know which book employs them... -_-|||)
2 I don't know what is useful in Astronomy, but I want it suits my major (You can skip this if you have no interest in astronomy)
Thanks for taking your time~

Physics news on Phys.org
LiD said:
Hello, everyone, please forgive me for my poor English.
I'm a sophomore, major in Astronomy. I've finished Hassani's book(Mathematical Physics). And I've learned Real variable function and functional analysis (I do not know what exact name of this course)
I'd like to buy a textbook with following virtues.
1 It take full advantage of Tensor Analysis and so on, enabling me to know how powerful the mathematicians are. My teacher said Landau's book is too old to employ the achievements contributed by the mathematicians in recent years.(But he do not know which book employs them... -_-|||)
2 I don't know what is useful in Astronomy, but I want it suits my major (You can skip this if you have no interest in astronomy)
Thanks for taking your time~
I don't see where you need a fluid mechanics text for any of the above. Wrong thread title?

I need a fluid mechanics text indeed.
I bought Landau's book but my tutor said that in past 20 or more years many new mathematical skills have been found to solve the problems in fluid mechanics, which of cause, not included in Landau's book.
And I hope the book suits my major (Astronomy).
If the ideal book doesn't exists, a book used by most of universities will work.
Thx for taking your time again:)

I think, Landau/Lifshitz volume 6 is one of the best books on fluid dynamics ever written. It's also pretty new (at least the German edition is from 1991). This is true for the whole series (except vol. IV on Quantum Electrodynamics, which is pretty old-fashioned).

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids, which includes liquids, gases, and plasmas, and the forces that act on them.

What topics are typically covered in a fluid mechanics textbook?

A fluid mechanics textbook covers topics such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's equation, conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, and various types of fluid flows.

What level of understanding is required for a fluid mechanics textbook?

A good understanding of calculus, physics, and mechanics is required to fully comprehend a fluid mechanics textbook. Familiarity with vector calculus and differential equations is also beneficial.

What are some popular fluid mechanics textbooks?

Some popular fluid mechanics textbooks include "Fluid Mechanics" by Frank M. White, "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Robert W. Fox and Alan T. McDonald, and "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, Donald F. Young, and Theodore H. Okiishi.

How can a fluid mechanics textbook be useful for my studies or research?

A fluid mechanics textbook can provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and equations governing fluid behavior, which can be applied to various real-world problems and research in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.