1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical I need a fluid mechanics textbook

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1

LiD

Hello, everyone, plz forgive me for my poor English.
    I'm a sophomore, major in Astronomy. I've finished Hassani's book(Mathematical Physics). And I've learnt Real variable function and functional analysis (I do not know what exact name of this course)
    I'd like to buy a textbook with following virtues.
    1 It take full advantage of Tensor Analysis and so on, enabling me to know how powerful the mathematicians are. My teacher said Landau's book is too old to employ the achievements contributed by the mathematicians in recent years.(But he do not know which book employs them..... -_-|||)
    2 I don't know what is useful in Astronomy, but I want it suits my major (You can skip this if you have no interest in astronomy)
    Thanks for taking your time~

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see where you need a fluid mechanics text for any of the above. Wrong thread title?

4. Mar 17, 2015 #3

LiD

I need a fluid mechanics text indeed.
    I bought Landau's book but my tutor said that in past 20 or more years many new mathematical skills have been found to solve the problems in fluid mechanics, which of cause, not included in Landau's book.
    And I hope the book suits my major (Astronomy).
    If the ideal book doesn't exists, a book used by most of universities will work.
    Thx for taking your time again:)

5. Mar 23, 2015 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I think, Landau/Lifshitz volume 6 is one of the best books on fluid dynamics ever written. It's also pretty new (at least the German edition is from 1991). This is true for the whole series (except vol. IV on Quantum Electrodynamics, which is pretty old-fashioned).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted