I need a light, collapsible bicycle

In summary, the bicycle is still available, but is more expensive than when it was originally released. It is small and can fit in the backseat of a car. It is less expensive than the folding bike.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I remember years ago seeing a bicycle that was very light and collapsible. You could even carry it. It was tremendously expensive, though. Do they still make such a thing?

It would be very helpful in getting around campus. I need to be able to fit it into my car so I could transport it from home to school - it's too far to bike there.

Physics news on Phys.org
OOH! I want it!:!) :!) :!) I wish I didn't have to go so far to look at it one, but they do have them in Oceanside:
http://electricvehiclesnw.com/fbw/brompton.htm
$720 is much less than when they came out but still a lot of moolah for me. I'd really have to check it out, and make sure it would fit my needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html

Lots of different sorts here Miss MiH, some cheaper than the Brompton.

brewnog said:
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/index1.html

Lots of different sorts here Miss MiH, some cheaper than the Brompton.
Wow! These are great! I would love to get one of the Dahon bikes. I will have to find out if they ship to the U.S. Thanks, Brewnog!

MIH, I just noticed your sig. LOL! That's too funny! What is it from?

Have you considered a BMX bike?

They are small and will fit in the backseat of a car. It fits in the back of my Neon.

I just put the seat higher for a more comfortable ride and that's it.

And they are less than half price of the folding bike.

Ivan Seeking said:
MIH, I just noticed your sig. LOL! That's too funny! What is it from?
Thanks, Ivan. It's from a song called "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo. I'm sure you would recognize it if you heard it. It was pretty popular in the '80s.

I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
and the touch of a world that is older
I turn the switch and check the number
I leave it on when in bed I slumber
I hear the rhythms of the music
I buy the product and never use it
I hear the talking of the dj
Can't understand, just what does he say?

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican - whoah - radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

I dial it in and tune the station
They talk about the U.S. inflation
I understand just a little
No comprende, it's a riddle

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

I wish I was in Tiajuana
Eating barbecued iguana
I'd take requests on the telephone
I'm on a wavelength far from home
I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
I dial it in from south of the border I hear the talking of the dj
Can't understand, just what does he say?

I'm on a Mexican radio
I'm on a Mexican radio

Radio, radio,
Radio, radio...
(what does he say?)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001I0C/?tag=pfamazon01-20

JasonRox said:
Have you considered a BMX bike?

They are small and will fit in the backseat of a car. It fits in the back of my Neon.

I just put the seat higher for a more comfortable ride and that's it.

And they are less than half price of the folding bike.
Wow - it fits in a Neon? :eek: But how heavy is it? I have an upstairs apartment, and lugging a bike up the stairs has been a real problem in the past. Actually, I guess it wasn't so much the weight, but keeping everything steady while I took it up. If there were some way to lock the front tire in position it wouldn't be so bad.

Oh, sweet! I just found a Dahon dealer right down the street from me!
I want one of these tiny little bikes!
http://www.shopatron.com/product/product_id=DAHYC632/412.0.15785.0.0.0.0"
http://www.shopatron.com/img/product_images/412/piccolo-d3-unfold_lo_2006.jpg

http://www.dahon.com/us/sweetpea.htm"
http://www.dahon.com/images/bikes/standard/sweetpea.jpg

Math Is Hard said:
Wow - it fits in a Neon? :eek: But how heavy is it? I have an upstairs apartment, and lugging a bike up the stairs has been a real problem in the past. Actually, I guess it wasn't so much the weight, but keeping everything steady while I took it up. If there were some way to lock the front tire in position it wouldn't be so bad.

How many floors must you go upstairs?

I'd go with the sweet pea.

It's the cheapest and probably the lightest too.

JasonRox said:
How many floors must you go upstairs?
Only one floor, but with my other bikes it was a real pain. If I had one I could put in the trunk of my car or fold up and take into class with me it would be ideal.

Here's my situation. This fall I'll have to drive to work in the morning, put in a few hours, dash up to my classes, dash back to work, work some more, and then maybe go back to class again during the day if my classes are too far apart in schedule. I work right at the edge of campus, so a bike would be perfect.

I really like the Sweet Pea, but they say it is not available yet, and I am wondering how happy I would be with a one-speed. The Piccalo is a three-speed, so it might be better.

What's wrong with just doing this?
p_pak6r5.jpg

http://www.sandsmachine.com/pack_r5.htm

It's nice, but the assembly/disassembly looks a little time-consuming. I saw a video of a folding bike being packed up in seconds and I found that very appealing.

Math Is Hard said:
It's nice, but the assembly/disassembly looks a little time-consuming. I saw a video of a folding bike being packed up in seconds and I found that very appealing.
Yow ! Having your clothes stolen has turned you all jellyfish-like. I was just pulling your leg...err... tentacle !

Gokul43201 said:
Yow ! Having your clothes stolen has turned you all jellyfish-like. I was just pulling your leg...err... tentacle !
I actually liked the idea that it had a carrying case, though. Too bad they didn't have it in fuschia.:cool:

That little Sweet Pea bike is supposed to be small enough to carry in a tote bag. That would be so neat-o.

Hey, what's that? Your laptop?
No, it's my bicycle!

I could win some cool points with the young folk on campus. :biggrin:

Well, er unless it's so tiny that I look like I am riding a clown bike - then it might not be so cool!:rofl:

Last edited:
I'm getting very interested in this one. Not bad for $330. It's a 7 speed with 20" tires. A few pounds heavier than the other two, though.
http://www.dahon.com/us/speedd7.htm
http://www.dahon.com/images/bikes/standard/speedd7.jpg

You want to carry 27-30 pounds up and down stairs everyday?

That's quite a workout in my opinion.

How far do you live from the school itself? Can you just ride a bike to school/work?

JasonRox said:

That's quite a workout in my opinion.

How far do you live from the school itself? Can you just ride a bike to school/work?
The bike will probably stay in the trunk of my car or in my office when I am not using it.

I am a little too far from work/school to do the entire trip on bike, and the streets I would take there are busy, heavily congested streets. It's L.A., so you pretty much can't get away from lots of traffic, even on side streets. My coworker's girlfriend was killed just over a year ago riding her bike on one of these streets. :frown:

I would move closer, but the closer you get to campus, the more expensive the rent is. I am in a rent-controlled apartment right now, and that's pretty hard to give up. I've been here for about 8 years.

JasonRox said:
BTW: now that you mention it, I do plan to go by the gym tomorrow and see what it's like to pick up and carry around a 30 lb weight!

I just ordered the Dahon Piccolo. Can't wait to ride it!:!)

The bike will probably stay in the trunk of my car or in my office when I am not using it.
Well, if nothing else, you'll improve the traction of your rear tires with the added weight in the trunk.

Math is hard
Now why would someone choose a Barbie doll expression for a forum id ...
or did the press get it wrong and that doll was really stating "Matt" and not "Math"?

Last edited:
Jeff Reid said:
Now why would someone choose a Barbie doll expression for a forum id ...
or did the press get it wrong and that doll was really stating "Matt" and not "Math"?
It's associated with what I consider one of the greatest practical jokes of all time: http://www.sniggle.net/barbie.php
Usually, I have a Barbie avatar, but I got to mix it up now and then, so I am in kitty mode for the moment.

I am so psyched about my bike! But I just realized last night that I also need to buy a helmet. I hope those aren't too expensive.

OK, so I just got my wacky little folding bike. It is so freakin' cute!
OOOOHHHHH!1111 :!) :!)

But it is really hard to ride. It is more difficult because of the little tires, I think. The front end doesn't feel as steady as it does on a bike w/ full size tires. This will take some getting used to, I guess.

But it is really hard to ride. It is more difficult because of the little tires, I think.
No, it's hard to ride because you keep hearing "It's a Small World" in your brain, destroying your ablility to concentrate on anything else.

Ok, possible solution, try leaning forwards on the bike to see if this helps. If so, adjust the handle bars.

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah. I think that is part of the problem (er, handle bars not "Small World").

Of even greater concern is that the handle bars aren't aligning perfectly evenly with the front tire. There's a very slight twist. I think there's a way to get them into proper position by unscrewing and repositioning the cylindrical piece that the handlebar piece slides into - I hope so anyway! I am going to take it down to a bike shop a little later and let them look it over.

Hey MIH,
Nice ride, I hope you get used to it soon. Check out http://www.bikefriday.com/" if you haven't already seen their stuff. I know you already have the Dahon, but they have a lot of accessories, ideas, etc. With small-wheeled bikes the best thing you can do is relax and not over-steer. A very small movement in the handlebars can mean a big change in direction. Try steering more with your whole body. Keep us posted and put some pics up already! You do have a helmet don't you?

where's chroot?

I think we need a bike forum.

scott1 said:
where's chroot?

I think we need a bike forum.

Amen! I second that idea!

DocToxyn said:
Hey MIH,
Nice ride, I hope you get used to it soon. Check out http://www.bikefriday.com/" if you haven't already seen their stuff. I know you already have the Dahon, but they have a lot of accessories, ideas, etc. With small-wheeled bikes the best thing you can do is relax and not over-steer. A very small movement in the handlebars can mean a big change in direction. Try steering more with your whole body. Keep us posted and put some pics up already! You do have a helmet don't you?
Thanks, Doc! I had not see the Bike Friday site. VERY cool!

I took the bike down to the bike shop yesterday, and they were able to take care of that problem with that twist in the handlebars so now everything is aligned correctly. They fixed it for free :cool: and they even helped me adjust my handlebars and seat while I was there. Afterwards, I took my first little ride and at first I felt a little unsteady, but after a few minutes it began to feel more natural. Getting the bike adjusted made a world of difference in my balance.

I think you are right in that I am probably oversteering a little bit. I need to find a nice easy path to practice on until I get more comfortable.

I haven't gotten my helmet yet. I might do that tomorrow. I don't have a clue about what kind to get. I'll probably try to find the lightest and smallest thing possible.

Oh, and I'll try to take some pics when I do a ride from Marina Del Rey to Santa Monica. There's a really nice bike path that runs by the ocean and through Venice Beach. We used to do that ride frequently in the summers.

If you don't use body lean, then you steer a bicycle by putting a very small amount of opposite torque on the handle bars. This steers the wheels out from under you which leans the bicycle. The steering geometry should cause the bike to steer inwards once leaned, overcoming the slight amount of opposite torque that you apply. Note that the forces you apply are going to be very light. Sometimes narrow handlebars, which reduce the leverage you can apply will make it easier to ride a bicycle. You can also just hold the handlebars towards the inside portion of the handlebar grips to see if this helps. Some bicyles are just less stable than others, so this may be an issue with the one you have now. Usually increased speed will help as gyroscopic forces will dampen out the reactions to steering inputs.

What is a light, collapsible bicycle?

A light, collapsible bicycle is a type of bicycle that is designed to be lightweight and easily folded or collapsed for convenient storage and transportation.

What are the benefits of a light, collapsible bicycle?

The main benefit of a light, collapsible bicycle is its portability and convenience. It can be easily carried onto public transportation or stored in small spaces, making it ideal for commuters or those with limited storage space. Additionally, the lightweight design makes it easier to ride and maneuver.

How much does a light, collapsible bicycle typically weigh?

The weight of a light, collapsible bicycle can vary depending on the specific model and materials used. However, most models weigh between 20-30 pounds, making them significantly lighter than traditional bicycles.

What materials are commonly used to make light, collapsible bicycles?

Light, collapsible bicycles are typically made from lightweight materials such as aluminum, carbon fiber, or titanium. These materials are strong and durable, while also being lightweight enough to make the bicycle easy to carry and maneuver.

Are light, collapsible bicycles suitable for long-distance rides?

While light, collapsible bicycles are designed for convenience and portability, they can also be used for longer rides. However, it is important to choose a model with a comfortable seat and proper gearing for longer distances. It is also recommended to test ride the bicycle and make any necessary adjustments before embarking on a long ride.