I need to know how to find acceleration

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the acceleration needed for a plane to reach a velocity of 120 KM per hour on a 300 meter long runway. The person already knows the answer and just needs help with the formula, specifically understanding the variables Xf and V0.
Chad0109

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, the question is there is a runway that is 300 meters long. how many meters per second per second must the plane accelerate if it must have a velocity of 120 KM per hour. I already know the awnser, i just need to know how to do it.

Look, the question is there is a runway that is 300 meters long. how many meters per second per second must the plane accelerate if it must have a velocity of 120 KM per hour. I already know the awnser, i just need to know how to do it. I understand the formula Xf=Vot+1/2at^2

Well, what does Xf stand for? How about V0?

Acceleration can be defined as the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This can also be represented as a = Δv/Δt. Additionally, if the object's position is known, acceleration can be found by taking the second derivative of the position function with respect to time.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how much an object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the unit of measurement for acceleration?

The unit of measurement for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²) in the SI system. It can also be expressed in other units such as feet per second squared (ft/s²) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion by changing its speed and/or direction. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If it is accelerating in the opposite direction, it will slow down. If the acceleration is in a perpendicular direction, it will change the object's direction of motion.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some real-life examples of acceleration include a car accelerating from a stop sign, a ball falling due to gravity, a rocket launching into space, and a person riding a rollercoaster. Any time an object's speed or direction changes, there is acceleration involved.