Acceleration of a shot put ball

In summary, the person is looking for the acceleration exerted on a shot put ball thrown at an angle of 37 degrees and accelerating it at a distance of over two meters, with a total distance of 23m. They are working in a group and attempting to find the initial velocity and use kinematic equations to solve for time and other variables to determine the acceleration. The person also mentions studying projectile motion, kinematic equations, and Newton's Laws.
Blocky970

Homework Statement

looking for the acceleration a person exerts on a shot put ball. total distance equals 23m. Thrown at an angle of 37 degrees and accelerating it at a distance of over two meters.

Homework Equations

I am working with a group of three other girls who are just as lost as i am.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempted solution was to find the initial velocity first and use the kinematic equations to solve for Time and other variables which would lead to its acceleration.

Attachments

• IMG_4686.jpg
    IMG_4686.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
First, a "shot put ball" is actually a "shot", and the "put" is the style of throw.

How did you use the kinematics equations? We need to see what you've done to see where you are going wrong.

Blocky970 said:

My attempted solution was to find the initial velocity first and use the kinematic equations to solve for Time and other variables which would lead to its acceleration.
Write your equations of movement for X, Y, Vx and Vy, and solve for calculate the velocity just after the shot.
After that think about how the athlete reaches this velocity. What are the equations in this case?

Blocky970 said:

Homework Statement

looking for the acceleration a person exerts on a shot put ball. total distance equals 23m. Thrown at an angle of 37 degrees and accelerating it at a distance of over two meters.

Homework Equations

I am working with a group of three other girls who are just as lost as i am.

Hello @Blocky970 . Welcome to PF !

img_4686-jpg.jpg

Have you studied "Projectile Motion" ? kinematic equations ? Newton's Laws ?

Attachments

• img_4686-jpg.jpg
    img_4686-jpg.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 513

Related to Acceleration of a shot put ball

What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes with time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

How is the acceleration of a shot put ball calculated?

The acceleration of a shot put ball can be calculated using the formula a = (Vf - Vi) / t, where a is acceleration, Vf is final velocity, Vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors affect the acceleration of a shot put ball?

The main factors that affect the acceleration of a shot put ball are the force applied to the ball, the mass of the ball, and the air resistance. The surface on which the ball is thrown can also have an impact on its acceleration.

How does air resistance affect the acceleration of a shot put ball?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the acceleration of a shot put ball. This is because the air molecules exert a force on the ball in the opposite direction of its motion, reducing its speed and acceleration.

What is the average acceleration of a shot put ball?

The average acceleration of a shot put ball can vary depending on the strength of the athlete and other factors. However, the typical acceleration of a shot put ball is around 9.8 m/s², which is the same as the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.