1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I need your advice on electronics textbooks

1. May 8, 2016 #1
    Okey, I finished high medical school in some very small and poor country in Europe. I loved human anatomy in beginning but then I get bored and stop learning, I didnt loved math or physics becouse I didnt know anything about it. Then three month before finishing school I got interested in EE electronics, now I got 3 month to learn some basics math and E&M some electronics, physics. Now Im asking you guys where to start, I learnt math I stoped on Differential Equation and now I want to go into electronics. So what is best book on electricity and magnetism, electronics?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2016 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'd say ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook....
    it is a "Here's how it works and here are the formulas and here is how to make with your own hands something that works" kind of reference book.
    Publisher is ARRL
    Beware there is at least one other book by same title, i think Collins is author, available from some underhanded publisher who put together a couple hundred pages of useless gibberish to sell to people who mistakenly think they're getting the high quality ARRL book.

Be sure the publisher is Amateur Radio Relay League.
    If you can find one from the 1960's in a used bookshop so much the better.

You'll find radio amateurs are a friendly and helpful lot.

my two cents

4. May 13, 2016 #3
    I'm not sure but I like "The art of electronics by Horowitz and Hill" This may be a little too much though.

5. Jan 12, 2017 #4
    I think my post with the following link was deleted by mistake. This is the author's own website and he is releasing these books to everyone for free. So there is no copyright issue. The author does provide license information. Otherwise I would not link. I do not link to sites that violate copyright.

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/

If you still think there is an issue, please explain so I will understand. Thank you.

6. Jan 12, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What did you mean by this comment below? It would seem to suggest a problem with the downloads you are suggesting...

7. Jan 12, 2017 #6
    I can see how this could be misunderstood. What I mean is that sometimes free material, such as linked to by Prof. T'Hooft, can vanish, for various reasons. Maybe the author no longer has the website. In the case of a university, sometimes the professor is no longer there and so his material is taken down. etc. I have seen this happen so I am just saying get the legitimate free stuff while it is available, because on the internet sometimes it is here today and gone tomorrow.

Of course I agree 100% with your anti-piracy policy!

Thank you.

:)

8. Jan 12, 2017 #7
    I can see how this could be misunderstood. What I mean is that sometimes free material, such as linked to by Prof. T'Hooft, can vanish, for various reasons. Maybe the author no longer has the website. In the case of a university, sometimes the professor is no longer there and so his material is taken down. etc. I have seen this happen so I am just saying get the legitimate free stuff while it is available, because on the internet sometimes it is here today and gone tomorrow.

Of course I agree 100% with your anti-piracy policy!

Thank you.

:)

9. Jan 12, 2017 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Okay, fair enoughj. Thanks for your replies. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted