I need your advice on electronics textbooks

In summary, if you want to learn about electricity and magnetism, I suggest you start with either ARRL's Radio Amateur's Handbook or Horowitz and Hill's The Art of Electronics.
Rishox
Okey, I finished high medical school in some very small and poor country in Europe. I loved human anatomy in beginning but then I get bored and stop learning, I didnt loved math or physics becouse I didnt know anything about it. Then three month before finishing school I got interested in EE electronics, now I got 3 month to learn some basics math and E&M some electronics, physics. Now I am asking you guys where to start, I learned math I stopped on Differential Equation and now I want to go into electronics. So what is best book on electricity and magnetism, electronics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rishox said:
So what is best book on electricity and magnetism, electronics?

I'd say ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook...
it is a "Here's how it works and here are the formulas and here is how to make with your own hands something that works" kind of reference book.
Publisher is ARRL
Beware there is at least one other book by same title, i think Collins is author, available from some underhanded publisher who put together a couple hundred pages of useless gibberish to sell to people who mistakenly think they're getting the high quality ARRL book.

Be sure the publisher is Amateur Radio Relay League.
If you can find one from the 1960's in a used bookshop so much the better.

You'll find radio amateurs are a friendly and helpful lot.

my two cents

Likes CalcNerd
I'm not sure but I like "The art of electronics by Horowitz and Hill" This may be a little too much though.

I think my post with the following link was deleted by mistake. This is the author's own website and he is releasing these books to everyone for free. So there is no copyright issue. The author does provide license information. Otherwise I would not link. I do not link to sites that violate copyright.

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/

If you still think there is an issue, please explain so I will understand. Thank you.

David Reeves said:
I think my post with the following link was deleted by mistake. This is the author's own website and he is releasing these books to everyone for free. So there is no copyright issue. The author does provide license information. Otherwise I would not link. I do not link to sites that violate copyright.

http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/

If you still think there is an issue, please explain so I will understand. Thank you.
What did you mean by this comment below? It would seem to suggest a problem with the downloads you are suggesting...
David Reeves said:
I suggest you download the PDFs now because free books sometimes go offline.

berkeman said:
What did you mean by this comment below? It would seem to suggest a problem with the downloads you are suggesting...

I can see how this could be misunderstood. What I mean is that sometimes free material, such as linked to by Prof. T'Hooft, can vanish, for various reasons. Maybe the author no longer has the website. In the case of a university, sometimes the professor is no longer there and so his material is taken down. etc. I have seen this happen so I am just saying get the legitimate free stuff while it is available, because on the internet sometimes it is here today and gone tomorrow.

Of course I agree 100% with your anti-piracy policy!

Thank you.

:)

berkeman said:

I can see how this could be misunderstood. What I mean is that sometimes free material, such as linked to by Prof. T'Hooft, can vanish, for various reasons. Maybe the author no longer has the website. In the case of a university, sometimes the professor is no longer there and so his material is taken down. etc. I have seen this happen so I am just saying get the legitimate free stuff while it is available, because on the internet sometimes it is here today and gone tomorrow.

Of course I agree 100% with your anti-piracy policy!

Thank you.

:)

Okay, fair enoughj. Thanks for your replies. :smile:

1. What are the best electronics textbooks for beginners?

Some popular electronics textbooks for beginners include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, and "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning about electronics?

Yes, there are many free online resources for learning about electronics, such as tutorial websites, YouTube channels, and online courses. Some popular options include All About Circuits, Khan Academy, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

3. How do I choose the right electronics textbook for my specific needs?

When choosing an electronics textbook, consider your level of understanding and the specific topics you want to learn. Look for books with clear explanations, practical examples, and relevant projects. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from experienced electronics enthusiasts.

4. Are there any textbooks specifically for learning about a specific aspect of electronics?

Yes, there are many textbooks that focus on specific aspects of electronics, such as digital electronics, microcontrollers, or circuit design. Some popular options include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill for circuit design, and "Arduino Cookbook" by Michael Margolis for microcontrollers.

5. Can I find used or discounted electronics textbooks?

Yes, you can often find used or discounted electronics textbooks through online marketplaces or through your university's bookstore. You can also look for digital versions or rental options to save money. However, make sure to check the edition and content to ensure it aligns with your learning goals.