I nominate these people for the Darwin award

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor
Moonbear said:
You really can't tell from the way it's written. But, as Pengwuino pointed out, they don't seem to have any trouble pointing an accusatory finger at the parents of kids who abuse alcohol and drugs while denying their responsibility for this one. I would think it would be easier to hide signs of alcohol and some drug abuse, especially if you don't come home drunk or high, than evidence of choking yourself. If my kid was suddenly wearing turtlenecks all summer and had bruises all around her neck, my first guess probably wouldn't be that she was choking herself, but I'd sure think something was wrong (I'd probably have been thinking she had an abusive boyfriend she was hiding from me or something like that, but no matter what, she'd be in counseling).
I just have the gut feeling more went on here than the parents are telling (as far as what they knew). Unfortunately, my gut feelings are always right. :frown:

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
I just have the gut feeling more went on here than the parents are telling (as far as what they knew). Unfortunately, my gut feelings are always right. :frown:
Yeah, that's what my gut is telling me too. The biggest sign of course is that children growing up in normal, healthy homes with parents who really are "close" to them just don't decide choking themselves is a form of entertainment, at least not unless she was also abusing drugs or alcohol.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Moonbear said:
Yeah, that's what my gut is telling me too. The biggest sign of course is that children growing up in normal, healthy homes with parents who really are "close" to them just don't decide choking themselves is a form of entertainment, at least not unless she was also abusing drugs or alcohol.
Well kids can be pretty stupid these days :-/. And supposedly its been going on a lot aroudn teh county.

Tami Radohl, a Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center counselor at Southwest Junior High School in Lawrence, said the behavior is not uncommon.

"This is going on in every junior high in Lawrence," Radohl said.

Evo
Mentor
Moonbear said:
If a teen is that troubled, the parents should have a clue, if they are truly as "close" as this guy says they were. :rolleyes: Something is rotten in the state of Denmark, as the old saying goes.

Last edited:
Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Intelligent design?

Moonbear said:
Wait, that was in Kansas; they don't believe in Darwin there. :uhh: That seems to explain a lot, doesn't it?
I was going to say that they are the definitive refutation of intelligent design - but I decided to remain silent! :wink:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Tide said:
I was going to say that they are the definitive refutation of intelligent design - but I decided to remain silent! :wink:
I say its the ultimate refutation of evolution! Nothing this stupid can be natural. The gene pool is suppose to improve! Not hang itself!

Tide
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pengwuino said:
I say its the ultimate refutation of evolution! Nothing this stupid can be natural. The gene pool is suppose to improve! Not hang itself!
The gene pool has two ends - one is deep and the other is shallow. :biggrin:

Pengwuino
Gold Member
haha and they drowned and suffocated. Its funny because its true.

I remember spinning around in circles when I was maybe 5 or 6 so I would get dizzy and fall down. Glad I didn't graduate to the hard stuff.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TheStatutoryApe said:
I remember spinning around in circles when I was maybe 5 or 6 so I would get dizzy and fall down. Glad I didn't graduate to the hard stuff.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yeah, who knew that spinning stuff was a gateway drug?

Pengwuino
Gold Member
Anyone ever spin themselves on office chairs? Boy was that fun...

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Pengwuino said:
We had kitchen chairs you could spin on, so yep, did that! It was like the home version of the teacups ride. :biggrin:

omagdon7 said:
This is unrelated to the death of a boy from autoerotic asphyxiation? I wasn't aware that people choked themselves without also trying to achieve orgasm.
Commonly known as "gaspers". Don't ask me how I know that. Apparently these children got tired of BB gun and dirt clod fights, papering houses, grafitti, making their parents fight, dropping m-80's in school toilets, soaping windows, egging, smoking, and playing slug-bug.

CNN.com - Boy dies*playing 'passing out game,' officials believe - Jul 13, 2005
Address:http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/13/choking.game.ap/ [Broken]

"...playing the game, which was popular with a group of girls at her school. Six girls at the school were suspended for a day after a security camera videotape showed the seventh-graders choking each other in a hallway.

Though the so-called game is new to many adults, it's likely something that children have been doing for a long time, said Connecticut-based child psychologist Dr. Lawrence Shapiro, author of "The Secret Language of Children: How to Understand What Your Kids are Really Saying."
"That's scary," Shapiro said.

In addition to talking to kids about drugs and alcohol, parents should discuss other risky behavior, like the pass-out game, Shapiro said.
"Younger kids don't know that they can die from this, that it's a very dangerous activity," Shapiro said.
Nathan Hoiosen, a school resource officer with the Nampa Police Department, said youngsters think the choking game offers a safe buzz compared with drinking or doing drugs."

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pengwuino said:
:uhh: I still do that. But only to demonstrate the concept of angular momentum and the moment of inertia, I swear. :eek: I am not addicted to it.

That physics stuff, however, is a different story. It's more addicting than crack. :redface:

author of "The Secret Language of Children: How to Understand What Your Kids are Really Saying."
They aren't saying anything! What happen to the days when children did something stupid it ment they were stupid?

Man, we need to make it where you need a liceanse to have kids. Stupid children are becoming an epidemic.

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Entropy said:
They aren't saying anything! What happen to the days when children did something stupid it ment they were stupid?

Man, we need to make it where you need a liceanse to have kids. Stupid children are becoming an epidemic.
That's because they have all those laws about child-proofing everything. It's relaxation of natural selection, I tell ya! It used to be if you were too stupid as a kid not to swallow things the size of your throat or not to stick forks in electric sockets, you didn't grow up to be a stupid teenager. :rolleyes: Bring back those metal toys with small parts!