Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I promise this is the last question

1. Jun 17, 2006 #1
    I promise this is the last question....

Is the spectrum of color a gradual gradation of one color to another... if so then do we arbitrarily create divisions between colors that distinguish them one from another OR is there a specific frequency that is the domain of red or yellow... if so then what is orange?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Probably because we have eyes that have retinal cells consisting of arrays of cones and rods that respond to light in a particular way that gives us a sensation of different colours at those frequencies.

4. Jun 17, 2006 #3

Spectrum of colour creates different colour effects in our eyes depending on the wavelength of the light source itself.
  5. Jun 17, 2006 #4
    IMO you are quite right on this :rolleyes: , the light spectrum is a continuous line. Each color should only occupy one point on that line, denoted by a frequency; and there are infinitely many different colors. But the vagueness of language mix things up, and in general we often don't mind the exact frequency of a color; except in certain applications. So a band frequency that somehow look orange may fit our daily definition of orange.
  6. Jun 17, 2006 #5
    There is a limit to the size unit of time that we can measure (Planck time) and so the variations between colours will appear quantized. A similar concept has been noticed in the variations in the measurement of redshifts. Astronomy Professor W G Tift of the University of Arizona wrote recently in an essay, "In fact, I find that redshifts appear to take on discrete values, something that is not possible if they are simply due to the cosmic expansion."
  7. Jun 17, 2006 #6

Gold Member

This is something that I've always had trouble with, particularly as to where blue ends off and green begins. If Monique is watching, could you address this? I recall reading somewhere that most languages don't even have separate words for 'blue' and 'green'.
  8. Jun 17, 2006 #7
    Huh. Blue ends and green begins at a place called turquoise.

But you can't see it on a computer. You can however see it another way. Get yourself a CD. Hold it under the light. Rock it back and forth. Danger: avoid direct sunshine or you'll damage your eyes.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?