Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I remember reading somewhere about how a wormhole lets you see

1. Jul 22, 2011 #1
    I remember reading somewhere about how a wormhole lets you see yourself 10-30 years ago, I don't understand how that works. I knew they are a 'shortcut' through space time, but is it because your travelling a distance so large, but technically your just going through a much shorter distance, through a wormhole?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Re: Wormhole

It doesn't work. It's nonsense.

4. Jul 22, 2011 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Re: Wormhole

They connect two different asymptotically flat regions of space - time or even a single one and in such a case it is possible that the space - time distance through the wormhole itself is shorter than the space - time distance between the two mouths (connecting the two regions) as per the outside region so you could technically go through at a certain event and arrive at an earlier event. But as Phinds stated, we haven't really observed one yet plus they require a negative energy density to actually be created which classically isn't possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook