Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I saw a Violin change the colour of a liquid,I don't know how

1. Jun 11, 2015 #1
    I've been looking around and I saw that chemicals are involved and they apparently played in the key of B major, if that helps. Oh also someone mentioned there may be oil at the top. Does anyone know how this happens or have even seen this?

I know sound is pressure, and it goes through things and all that stuff.

There seems to be two chemicals also the liquid goes black http://www.ipernity.com/tag/adam/keyword/14870

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2015 #2
    My guess would be the sound wave triggered a chemical reaction , exciting a lot of the liquid's electrons ,changing the color of the liquid. Now as an excited electron calms down it emits an energetic photon thus a mass excitation and emission could result in a color change.

Now sound isn't light and therefore my analysis is shaky but still worthwhile because I think sound oscillations can also excite atoms and therefore the electrons through shaking them up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  4. Jun 11, 2015 #3
    It's frustrating how the picture features the two chemical bottles but not what they are, even more frustrating how I saw this in a school assembly to get people inspired by Science but they didn't bother to explain how it was done.

5. Jun 11, 2015 #4
    I'm guessing either it was done to inspire curiousity or they were just bad teachers.

6. Jun 11, 2015 #5
    I once got some people come into my Primary school to get people inspired by Astronomy, I'm not making this up, instead of waiting for it to be night time and looking up (how people first got into it) they erected FAKE tents INSIDE the P.E. Centre and made us line up to sit in them to watch a Computer screen Slide show with Sci-Fi Music blaring.

7. Jun 11, 2015 #6
    That is horrible and probably they are horrible stem teachers.

8. Jun 11, 2015 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong with that, You wouldn't expect the kids to stay in school until night, and what would they see? Have you never been to a planetarium? If you haven't I strongly suggest that you do.

9. Jun 11, 2015 #8
    The Briggs-Rauscher reaction is known as an oscillating chemical reaction.
    http://listverse.com/2008/03/04/top-10-amazing-chemical-reactions/
    Thank you

Evo imagine you were introduced to Dinosaurs by someone dressed up as a T-Rex telling you about the Jurassic times, with Volcano Ambience blaring. In doors inside a terrible prop cave. Near Christmas it gets dark really quickly.

I imagine there's lots of babies crying in planetariums, I haven't been in one my self but I've been in museums.

10. Jun 11, 2015 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've never been in a planetarium with a baby crying. I was introduced to dinosaurs by a book at the grocery store where with each purchase you got a dinosaur stamp to paste in the book, which was filled with misinformation. But it got me interested in learning more.

The experience you will have in a Planetarium will be awesome, check one out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook