Thermodynamics: I can't solve this simple entropy exercise....

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change of entropy of a steel bullet and oil liquid system. The formulas for Isobaric are mentioned and the need to calculate the final temperature of the objects is highlighted. The first law of thermodynamics is mentioned as a way to determine the final temperature and a link to a cookbook with step-by-step instructions for calculating entropy is provided.
babaliaris
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Template is shown

The text says:
"Steel bullet of 25kg with a Temperature of 400 Celsius, is being dropped on the bottom of an oil liquid of 100kg at a temperature of 100 Celsius. The system is isolated. Calculate
a) The change of entropy of the bullet,
b) the change of entropy of the oil,
c) the total change of entropy of the system."

also these values are given: Bullet ##C_{p_{b}} = 0.5## and oil ##C_{p_{o}} = 2.5##

From the reading I've done so far in thermodynamics, my mind goes to these formulas for Isobaric:
##Q = nC_{p}ΔT## and ##ΔS = \frac{Q}{ΔT}##

The problem is that I don't know how to calculate the final Temperature of the oil and the bullet. I believe that if I know the final temperature of these two objects, then I can calculate the heat Q of them both individually and thous calculate the ΔS individually. But how do I do that? Probably I'm missing something in my notes. Also I'm not sure if this formula is correct: ##ΔS = \frac{Q}{ΔT}##

Thank you :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The first step is to determine the final temperature using the first law of thermodynamics. Do you know how to do that? You should, given that you are now learning about entropy and the second law of thermodynamics.

I have prepared a simple cookbook recipe on the step-by-step procedure you use to determine the change in entropy for a system like this: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/grandpa-chets-entropy-recipe/ There are worked examples in the cookbook. Please look it over and get back to me with questions.

Likes JD_PM

1. What is entropy in thermodynamics?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. It is a thermodynamic quantity that increases with the amount of energy dispersed or unavailable for work in a system.

2. How is entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that in any process, the amount of energy that becomes unavailable for work, or the amount of disorder, will always increase.

3. Can you explain the difference between entropy and enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, including both its internal energy and the energy required to overcome the pressure-volume work. Entropy, on the other hand, is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system.

4. How do you calculate the change in entropy?

The change in entropy can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat transferred, and T is the temperature of the system in Kelvin.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics and entropy?

Thermodynamics and entropy have many applications in the real world, such as in power generation, refrigeration, and chemical reactions. They also play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of systems such as climate change, protein folding, and the formation of stars and galaxies.