Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I swear I wouldn't touch anything, I'll keep my hands in my pockets.

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    Can I be a mentor for one day if I promise not to ban anyone, or change anything, or say anything or do anything? I just want to see everything on PF once and it just gnaws on me to know there are places I can't see. Plus Moonbear is always teasing me saying stuff like "haha, you can't follow me to the good threads" and calling me a loser. Okay, I made up the Moonbear stuff but I'd still like to see what I'm missing. I picture the mentor lounge as having smell-o-vision or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Just ask them to post a screenshot of their godly powers in action, such as the options to ban posters, delete posts, lock threads etc.

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kind of like the teacher's lounge in elementary school...I would find a reason to pass by it from time to time. It was filled with cigarette smoke, and you could hear the teachers cackling and even (gasp!) swearing...

5. Sep 26, 2008 #4
    doesn't work that way. I have to be able to BE there. It's a power trip thing. I don't have to do something to enjoy it I just have to be ABLE to do something.

6. Sep 26, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Erm, why would you need to be able to do something if you don't plan to do anything?

7. Sep 26, 2008 #6
    I was the kid who always touched the stuff he was told not to touch. I'm the guy who ends up pushing the "Do not push this button" button. I never said there was a logical reason for my asking for this. I want it because I can't have it.

8. Sep 27, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nah, no smell-o-vision, that's just Zz passing gas.

LOL, lisab, about teacher's lounges...they really were awful when we were kids, weren't they?! I don't think the seediest bars I've been in as an adult have ever been as smoke-filled and had so many people inside cussing like sailors as the teachers' lounge in my elementary school or Jr. high. Though, if for some reason a student HAD to knock on the door to find a teacher in an emergency, the sudden silence of the whole room stopping their conversations because a student was present was unnerving. Apparently, NOTHING they were saying could be said in front of kids. :bugeye:

9. Sep 27, 2008 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We keep you out for your own protection. We are the keepers of a thousand arcane secrets. And each one would drive you MAD! MAD!

10. Sep 27, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Actually, it's more like a basement or janitors closet with a big garbage and recycling bins, and lots of cleaning supplies.

11. Sep 27, 2008 #10
    So let me in. There should be some sort of honorary thing for pure longevity. I was posting at PF before 99% of the mentors could spell PF. Make it like one of those doctorates they offer to the stars of ER or like that one job where you don't make any decisions or have any power vice president. I'm not going to beg, but please c'mon please.

12. Sep 27, 2008 #11

Evo

Hah!! After your confession that you WOULD push buttons that you were told not to!! You would blow up the forum. You *know* you would. :surprised

Plus as Hurkyl said, the powerful ancient knowledge that you would be exposed to would certainly drive you mad.

13. Sep 27, 2008 #12
    et tu Evo?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  14. Sep 27, 2008 #13
    I hear PF has the real Golden Stool hiding here somewhere, tribdog. That's why they can't let anyone in without a series of tests. Wars have broken out over it. The first test has something to do with pancakes, motor oil, and a porcupine. I don't want to imagine what that is, exactly.

15. Sep 27, 2008 #14
    I would have thought I'd get something for starting the "thread killer champions" thread, but since I was forgiven for that I think I should be granted this one tiny wish in the hopes I don't start another one.

16. Sep 27, 2008 #15
    I'm not tribdog, I'm someone who is just borrowing his computer for a couple of minutes and I'd like to point out a couple of facts.
    1) When the member photo thread got out of control, he did go in and clean it up at no charge.
    2) when Moonbear was crying that no one would give her anything for Christmas and all she really wanted was a set of Legos What did she find under her tree come Christmas morning with a label that said "Merry christmas moonbear. from a true admirer of all things mentorish, tribdog"?
    3) When Astronuc needed that kidney transplant who flew to India and had his removed and fed exed to astronuc?
    4) who risked discovery and possible death to describe the dangers of MAPP gas and frozen soda to the members of PF?
    5) I could go on and on. Evo how's that no interest home loan working out for you? Have you forgotten who taught you how to ride a big boys bicycle, Hurkyl?

That's all I have to say, I'll let tribdog have his computer back now

17. Sep 27, 2008 #16
    Now see, that's a problem. You have just let someone else use your computer. How can the staff here know that you'll maintain control if they should offer you a temp position?

18. Sep 27, 2008 #17
    you are about three posts away from a virtual fat lip. OOH if i ever get the power to ban someone.

19. Sep 27, 2008 #18

russ_watters

Wish granted!

Look how close you just came to being banned, tribdog. I had my mouse cursor hovering over the button (didn't show up in the screen cap). An accidental sneeze and you'd have been gone.
    I'm willing to take that risk. I mean, seriously - who would even notice?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  20. Sep 27, 2008 #19

Evo

:rofl:

At least you didn't let him see behind the curtain. :bugeye:

21. Sep 27, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:approve: Exactly!

:rofl: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?