I think I'm going to fail Signals and Systems?

In summary, I will study for the midterm on my own and try to get a good grade on it so that I can move on to the next semester.
elips
Hi friends, I'm new in this forum and very happy to be here. I need your guidance on what to do with my Signals and Systems course which I expect to turn into a failure. I'm studying Electronics Engineering and I think I'm going to fail Signals and Systems because I got 9 out of 100 on my first midterm (the class average was 36) but I'm working at the same time, so even though I've started studying for the first midterm 1 week before the exam but, it wasn't enough to have a good grade. My upcoming second midterm is on Tuesday (4 days left) and I don't feel myself ready to cope with the Fouries Series and Fourier Transformation. I therefore think, I'm probably going to get a F from Signals and Systems, this semester. So, next semester, the university won't allow me to take Circuit Analysis because Signals and Systems is prerequisite for Circuit Analysis, and if I can't take Circuit Analysis next semester, my graduation will automatically be postponed 1 year, because I won't be able to take courses like, Microelectronic Circuit Design and Digital Electronics. And my family can't afford this. Should I write a petition to our Dean and University President about taking Circuit Analysis together with Signals and Systems next semester? Do you think I can handle Signals and Systems with Circuit Analysis in the same semester? What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are better off studying for the exam. 14days is enough time.

Heck, I won't advice it but I studied my whole signals course in a day but keep in mind I was only 3 chapters behind before the final.

Fourier series and transform should take you no more than 2 days to get familiar with.

If you petition the dean, I doubt they would make adjustments for you.

I agree that signals and systems can be learned very quickly at this course level. Just find a quite table to work at and study the book writing out the derivations and examples and solving the problems.

Don't burn yourself out with all-nighters, just do focused study 12 hours per day for several days. There is no reason you can't ace this test with the time you have left.

By the way S&S is not critical to circuit analysis, and you would be able to do CA no problem even if you fail S&S, provided you study S&S now. So, definitely petition the dean and study hard on your own over the summer too, if you don't pass the course now.

elips said:
Hi friends, I'm new in this forum and very happy to be here. I need your guidance on what to do with my Signals and Systems course which I expect to turn into a failure. I'm studying Electronics Engineering and I think I'm going to fail Signals and Systems because I got 9 out of 100 on my first midterm (the class average was 36) but I'm working at the same time, so even though I've started studying for the first midterm, it wasn't enough to have a good grade. My upcoming second midterm is on Tuesday (4 days left) and I don't feel myself ready to cope with the Fouries Series and Fourier Transformation. I therefore think, I'm probably going to get a F from Signals and Systems, this semester. So, next semester, the university won't allow me to take Circuit Analysis because Signals and Systems is prerequisite for Circuit Analysis, and if I can't take Circuit Analysis next semester, my graduation will automatically be postponed 1 year, because I won't be able to take courses like, Microelectronic Circuit Design and Digital Electronics. And my family can't afford this. Should I write a petition to our Dean and University President about taking Circuit Analysis together with Signals and Systems next semester? Do you think I can handle Signals and Systems with Circuit Analysis in the same semester? What do you think I should do?
It would be appropriate to discuss the matter with the professor teaching the course and the department head or faculty advisor. One certainly needs to retake the S&S course. If it is a prerequisite for Circuit Analysis, then perhaps one is expected to use Fourier analysis as part of the Circuit Analysis, in which case, the CA course is more advanced than an introductory course on circuits.

Thank you very much eveyone, your views were very valuable to me. You gave me the courage to cope with everything. Now, I know how I should approach to S&S and CA.

1. Why do students struggle with Signals and Systems?

Signals and Systems is a complex subject that combines mathematical concepts with practical applications. Many students find it challenging because it requires a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations.

2. What are some common mistakes students make in Signals and Systems?

One common mistake is not spending enough time on understanding the fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced topics. Another mistake is not practicing enough with problem-solving, which is essential in this subject.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Signals and Systems?

First, make sure you have a strong foundation in the prerequisite subjects such as calculus and linear algebra. Then, practice solving problems and seek help from your professor or a tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept. Additionally, try to relate the theoretical concepts to real-world applications to enhance your understanding.

4. What are some useful resources for learning Signals and Systems?

There are many helpful resources available, such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Your professor may also have additional resources or recommended readings. Additionally, joining a study group or seeking help from a tutor can also be beneficial.

5. What can I do if I am still struggling with Signals and Systems?

If you are struggling with Signals and Systems, it is essential to communicate with your professor and seek additional help. Your professor may be able to provide extra resources or offer one-on-one tutoring. Additionally, make use of office hours, study groups, and online resources to improve your understanding and performance in the subject.