Where do signal engineers go after Undergrad?

In summary, after completing their undergraduate degree, signal engineers have various options for their career paths. Some may choose to enter the workforce and work for companies in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, or power and energy. Others may decide to pursue further education, such as a master's degree or PhD, in order to specialize in a specific area of signal engineering. Additionally, some may choose to become self-employed and offer their services as consultants or contractors. Ultimately, the career path for signal engineers after undergraduate studies is diverse and offers opportunities for growth and advancement.
icesalmon
I'm going into my sr. year in EE and I want to focus as much as I can on signal engineering for my technical electives(digital filter deisgn, digital signal processing, comm. systems, antenna theory etc.) and I was curious where a path in that field would take me if i decided to go to graduate school in the future? In terms of the types of subjects I could read up on to better familiarize myself with more and more information in that area. What else could I be studying in my free time to learn more about the field? I just want to learn as much as possible

Likes atyy
Physics news on Phys.org
icesalmon said:
I'm going into my sr. year in EE and I want to focus as much as I can on signal engineering for my technical electives(digital filter deisgn, digital signal processing, comm. systems, antenna theory etc.) and I was curious where a path in that field would take me if i decided to go to graduate school in the future? In terms of the types of subjects I could read up on to better familiarize myself with more and more information in that area. What else could I be studying in my free time to learn more about the field? I just want to learn as much as possible
From the title and body of your post, it's not clear to me whether you are asking (1) what jobs are available with an undergrad degree, or (2) which grad schools you should consider, and what specialties in grad school you should consider?

When I worked for Cisco Systems in wireless networking, most of the engineers in that part of the company were signal guys. I was the lone physicist.

CrysPhys said:
From the title and body of your post, it's not clear to me whether you are asking (1) what jobs are available with an undergrad degree, or (2) which grad schools you should consider, and what specialties in grad school you should consider?

I'm not concerned with jobs, I'm concerned with what i can learn in the field after I've covered all my undergraduate coursework.

Dr. Courtney said:
When I worked for Cisco Systems in wireless networking, most of the engineers in that part of the company were signal guys. I was the lone physicist.
more work for you! :biggrin:

icesalmon said:
I'm not concerned with jobs, I'm concerned with what i can learn in the field after I've covered all my undergraduate coursework.
(1) Are you planning for a MS or PhD in grad school?

(2) Have you given any thought to your ultimate career (e.g., academic research or industry)?

CrysPhys said:
(1) Are you planning for a MS or PhD in grad school?

(2) Have you given any thought to your ultimate career (e.g., academic research or industry)?

1). MS
2). Industry, other than that i haven no clue.

Dr. Courtney said:
what kinda work did they do?

icesalmon said:
what kinda work did they do?

They designed wireless networking equipment.

If you get a solid grounding in both communications theory and add information theory, you'll be well-placed for a position developing state-of-the-art mm-wave 5G communications equipment, which is just starting to take off now and will be the dominant communications technology for the next couple of decades. Early systems currently being deployed are fairly simple, so you'll enter the field at a time when advanced technologies such as MIMO will be developed. Whether you decide to work on hardware or not, additional courses in microwave electronics and antenna theory would make you even more marketable.

marcusl said:
If you get a solid grounding in both communications theory and add information theory, you'll be well-placed for a position developing state-of-the-art mm-wave 5G communications equipment, which is just starting to take off now and will be the dominant communications technology for the next couple of decades. Early systems currently being deployed are fairly simple, so you'll enter the field at a time when advanced technologies such as MIMO will be developed. Whether you decide to work on hardware or not, additional courses in microwave electronics and antenna theory would make you even more marketable.
what additional courses, that are continuations of antenna theory, could i look into? and what subjects should i be comfortable with in order to begin a study on information theory?

Continuation of antenna theory? Maybe phased arrays and adaptive array processing.
For info theory, comms theory is a definite pre-req. Consult your university course catalog for other pre-requisites.

Likes berkeman

1. What career options are available for signal engineers after completing their undergraduate degree?

Signal engineers have a variety of career options to choose from after completing their undergraduate degree. Some common paths include working in research and development, consulting, or in the telecommunications industry. Other options include pursuing graduate studies or working in government agencies.

2. Can signal engineers work in different industries besides telecommunications?

Yes, signal engineers can work in a variety of industries besides telecommunications. Their skills and knowledge in signal processing and communication systems are also applicable in fields such as aerospace, defense, and healthcare.

3. Is it necessary for signal engineers to obtain a graduate degree?

While a graduate degree is not always required, it can open up more opportunities for signal engineers. It can also lead to higher salaries and more specialized roles in the industry. However, some signal engineers may choose to gain work experience before pursuing a graduate degree.

4. What skills are important for signal engineers to have in their careers?

Signal engineers should have a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. They should also have a solid understanding of signal processing techniques and programming languages. Additionally, communication skills and the ability to work in a team are important for success in this field.

5. How can signal engineers continue to develop their skills and stay current in the field?

Signal engineers can continue to develop their skills and stay current in the field by attending conferences and workshops, participating in online courses, and networking with other professionals. They can also stay updated on industry developments through reading journals and publications, and keeping up with advancements in technology.