1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want help to find tan of polar correctly

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    Hi

I face some problem when i try to find tan in like this questions

for example : write in polar

z1 = 1 - i

the answer is -5π/4

but my answer is

tan Q = y/x = -1/1 = -1

how I get -5π/4

--------------

ex : 2

z = -root3 + i

my answer is

tanQ = -1/root3 = -0.143

but the answer is = 5π/6

How i get the answer 5π/6

----

please help me >>

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    A complex number on the form [tex]x+iy[/tex] and the point of your exercise is to find [itex]\theta[/itex]

you know that

[tex]tan(\theta) = \frac{y}{x}[/tex] Understand?

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you even know what question you are trying to answer?
    "[itex]- 5\pi/4[/itex]" is NOT the answer to the question posed, to write 1- i in polar form but it is part of the answer. Yes, tan(Q)= -1 and a calculator will tell you that [itex]Q= tan^{-1}(-1)= -45[/itex] degrees or [itex]-\pi/4[/itex] radians. You should also be able to recognize that tangent is 1 when the "near side" and "opposite" side are the same- an isosceles right triangle with angles or 45 degrees= [ Of course, that is in the
    fourth quadrant where x is positive and y is negative so that is the correct answer. You can also write that, as a positive number, [itex]2\pi- \pi/4= 8\pi/4- \pi/4= 7\pi/4[/itex]. [itex]-5\pi/4[/itex] is NOT the correct argument. That is in the second quadrant and so is
    the argument for -1+ i.

To find the polar form you will also need the modulus or absolute value. That is [math]\sqrt{1^2+ (-1)^2}= \sqrt{2}[/math].

Once again, the value you are looking for is NOT "tan(Q)" but Q itself. To find that take the inverse tangent. A calculator will tell you that [itex]Q= tan^{-1}(-1/\sqrt{3})= -30 degrees= [itex]-\pi/6[/itex] radians. Again that is in the fourth quadrant (a calculator always gives arctan values between [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\pi/2[/itex]). But [itex]-\sqrt{3}+ i[/itex] with negative x value and positive y is in the second quadrant: the correct angle is [itex]\pi- \pi/6= 6\pi/6- \pi/6= 5\pi/6[/itex].

And, again, for polar form you will need the modulus, [itex]\sqrt{(-\sqrt{3})^2+1^2}=\sqrt{3+ 1}= \sqrt{4}= 2[/itex].
    [/quote]

----

please help me >>[/QUOTE]

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4

----

I have a different view of this

let z = 1-i be a complex number first

then we find the angle alpha[tex]\alpha = tan^{-1}(-1) = -45 = \frac{-\pi}{4}[/tex]

since z = 1-i lies within the second quadrant

so [tex]180--45 = 225[/tex] degrees. Which in Radians are [tex]\theta = \frac{5\pi}{4
    }[/tex]

6. Apr 19, 2010 #5
    Now i understand it

thanks

If posiible i want all angle with degrees and radians

for exaple : 45 = π/4
    30 = π/6

help me

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6
    You are welcome r-soy :)

8. Apr 19, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, z is in the fourth quadrant.
    As a positive angle it would be 7pi/4.

9. Apr 19, 2010 #8
    If posiible i want all angle with degrees and radians

for exaple : 45 = π/4
    30 = π/6

help me

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook