1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to be an astrophysicist, should I major in that or just in physics?

1. Feb 28, 2012 #1
    First off, I have this huge bug with math. When I understand it the problems take me a few seconds to do, when I don't, its like world war 3.

So why did I pick physics of all things? Because I love space, I would love nothing more then to study the planets.

But to do this it will require a lot of hard work, so I have some questions for you guys.

1) Currently i'm going to a junior college, but plan to transfer to university next year, when I transfer should I stick with Physics or change to Astrophysics? I'd be attending OU or UT, OU has an astrophysics program while UT doesn't, but UT does have a physics program

2) What would be my starting pay, rough estimate?

3) Any tips to help with self discipline and actually learning math instead of just slouching through it like I do now.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2012 #2

eri

Major in physics and take classes in astronomy, math, and computer science. You'll need a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or physics to do much of anything in the field, and almost all of those grad schools require a strong physics background and physics GRE scores. Starting pay, and jobs in general, depend on the highest degree you earn and where you get a job. A physics major can pay pretty well, but there aren't many jobs in astronomy that don't require a PhD. Starting salary with a PhD usually means a postdoc position, and those don't tend to pay very well. Of course, seeing as how you just spend 6+ years living off 20k a year as a grad student, making 40k or 50k seems like a lot of money.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook