1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to become interested in Physics

1. Jan 3, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I am new here, and I desperately want to become interested in Physics. I feel like I've tried everything. No book has helped, and I have great difficulty focusing on written text. I've looked to physics kits, but they are below my age range and I don't think that they would work for me. I just have no idea what to do, I really want to become interested in Physics, but I just have no idea how to do this, how to make Physics interesting for me.

Can someone please help me?

Thank you...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2016 #2
    You can't really force yourself to become interested in something..

4. Jan 3, 2016 #3
    Keep trying, but if you truly feel like you've already tried everything you can, then it's just time to let it go. You can't force yourself to instantly enjoy something you're just not into in general.

5. Jan 3, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Why do you want to become interested in physics??

6. Jan 3, 2016 #5
    Answering this question may make things easier for you. Find out what it is that will be your driving force.

Possibly find a way of integrating aspects of Physics into the things you already enjoy. You could try more of a kinesthetic approach, find ways to be more "hands on." From what you're saying this may make things a little easier for you, because not everyone is going to respond to books and notes. Maybe attempt to learn a little and go out and apply it to what you see or experience in your daily life.

7. Jan 3, 2016 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

.... and you might wish to learn to enjoy flavoring your tea with horseradish, but you do not like anything in your tea other than a little lemon or some honey.

You cannot force yourself to LIKE something but you can acquire an interest in it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  8. Jan 4, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

That's it. Curiosity. In the beginning wasn't light nor force nor word - nor a toy box. In the beginning was a question. One to get an answer to doesn't let you go until you'll have found it. (micromass can tell you since I've recently tortured him until I've found an answer to a misunderstanding I had myself.) It can or should I say should be an easy one like the famous: What makes things fall? Or: Why does current move a compass needle? From there you will be guided to several next questions and so on. My examples here have been the starting point of two famous theories in physics which nowadays every physicists know.

9. Jan 4, 2016 #8
    I have found that the way ideas are presented can dramatically affect one's level of interest.

Feynman was an inspirational communicator, take a look here, for example http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p018dvyg/horizon-19811982-9-the-pleasure-of-finding-things-out

I don't know what level of study you are at, but I have enjoyed some of the lectures by Walter Lewin, to be found on the MIT open courseware site.

Also, guidance from someone who has trodden the path before you can be invaluable in selecting good textbooks to study from, for example, in specific areas.

Good Luck !

10. Jan 4, 2016 #9

fresh_42

11. Jan 4, 2016 #10

Mark44

Maybe this is just an unfortunate choice of words, but the implication here is that physics is NOT interesting to you at the moment. Why do you "desperately" want to become interested in this area of science? Peer pressure? New years' resolution?
    [/quote]I really want to become interested in Physics, but I just have no idea how to do this, how to make Physics interesting for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook